Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not-so-happy NGD - broken DK2M headstock

Hey all -

Argggh! Got a DK2M on Ebay last week, arrived today. FedEx apparently dropped it on its head at some point, as there's a tear in the top of the box and the headstock is broken lengthwise - so part of the head is still attached to the neck, and half is split off. It was packed with spray foam on both sides, but apparently not enough protection on the top to keep it adequately protected from whatever blow it took.

I've already spoken with Jackson customer service and they say they don't have any replacement DK2M necks left. I suspect FedEx won't be willing to call this a total loss since the neck is technically replaceable, just not necessarily with an exact equivalent. The seller is also contacting FedEx. Would love to hear from anyone who's dealt with FedEx claims in the past on tips for making that process successful.

Also, any suggestions (besides Ebay) on where I might locate a new neck w/maple fingerboard? The whole reason I bought this specific guitar was for the maple fingerboard with the black inlays. I suppose I may have to settle for a neck with a rosewood board if I can't find a maple one anywhere and FedEx won't call it a total loss. Definitely a bummer way to end the week.

I would say this is the seller's problem, not yours. Return it (you'll have to pay for postage unless the seller is a stand up guy) and get a refund. He should have packed it better.

I sold an Epi Les Paul on ebay and this happened to it. I had to take a return, and I even paid the guy for posting it back, I just felt bad that it had got broke and it wasn't his fault.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

To settle this claim fedex will pick up the guitar and inspect it and ship it back to the seller and the seller should refund you all your money. It's then the sellers problem. if fedex OKs the claim it's a pretty quick turn around compared to ups. They will pay for the full selling price of the guitar and the shipping cost and probably let the seller keep the guitar. Been there done that just a month ago.

Comment

Rich, Martin - thanks for the replies. A return/refund would work fine for me, hopefully everything goes the same as it did for you, Rich. Maybe I'll shift to hunting locally for another DK2M instead of risking the shipping route again ...

Comment

Its actually much easier and shafer to ship a bolt on with the neck off. Smaller box. More packing. But yeah he will.have to.take that back . You can find necks from dk2ms for about 150 used on ebay. Pricey but you could give the guy that option and have it shipped directly to you.

Other wise yeah return and next one I would include very specific packing instructions. Found right here in this site

Comment

I'm sure the seller wlll opt to have the guitar back since fedex should pay him and let him keep the guitar. If a pointy headstock gets shipped upside down no matter how good the packing a high percent of the time they're fu*ked(unless shipped in a hardshell case).

Comment

All I can say to this (and although they'll never read it, it's directed towards the Fed-Ex person) is "what the hell ever happened to having fucking pride in your work?".
              In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Is that video for real? Ridiculous, but not surprising. It's exactly why I don't have packages delivered to my condo - they have tossed a couple of them over the wall of my porch instead of leaving them on the doorstep.

Claim is in process, took a bunch of photos to send to FedEx this evening. The seller is being very cooperative and wanting to make sure I'm taken care of, so I'm sure it'll get resolved reasonably.

Comment

Just make a claim through paypal since you bought it off ebay. It's the sellers responsibility for shipping and he can work it out with fedex since he was the one who shipped it. You should also look at guitar centers used guitars, I'm sure you can find a dk2m there and their prices are very good. I've bought a couple of used guitars and had them shipped with no problems and they have an excellent return policy. If you find a guitar and are afraid to ship, ask them for a used case to ship it in. Last guitar I got from them was an sl3 and I didnt want to have it shipped without a case so they sold me a mint condition used case fro an extra $25.

Comment

Working...
                    X