NGD! - Trans red DKMGT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD! - Trans red DKMGT

My dealer got one in that has been sitting in inventory for a LOOONG time. (It's a 2004/05 model I believe, SN 96915XX)) I scored a good deal (under $500 CAD) and it has some awesome flame on the neck and the top is decent. I'll need to throw on some straplocks, locking tuners and swap out the pickups (EMG-HZ) but this is a cool little fiddle. I'll probably use it for gigging/practices with the company band.

I'm at work so I won't be able to post pictures until I get it home tonight, but hey, we all know what these look like right?
    Last edited by Hellbat; 05-08-2012, 05:24 PM.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Pics dude....you know the routine
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Cant wait to see her !!! I just got my second DK, a cobalt blue DKMG. I gotta put pics up of both.
      Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
      LTD EC401VF
      Gibby Les Paul
      Ibanez RG220D O Natural
      Fender Parts Caster
      Oranger Tiny Terror Head
      2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
      TU2 Tuner
      Dunlop Cantrell Wah
      Fulltone 70's Fuzz
      Fulltone Distortion Pro1
      Fulltone Mosfet 2
      Fulltone OCD OD
      Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
        Pics dude....you know the routine
        +1, WTF dude?
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Pics will be up tonight. You guys have to see the awesome flame on the neck, it's really the whole reason I pulled the trigger on this one. It's got the EMG afterburner in it too, which is semi exciting for me. Now I just have to figure out what pickup to put in the bridge. I have a Pearly Gates to put in the neck. First I'll try out the HZ's but I have a feeling it will be wearing Duncans before too long here.

I think this thing sat in a case at the store since the late 90's. There are a couple of pick swirls and one tiny imperfection on the clear on the back, otherwise it's flawless. The fingerboard was super dry, almost white. It looked like an Indonesian Ibanez. One fret polish and fingerboard clean/condition later and it's back to nice dark rosewood.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            Pics will be up tonight. You guys have to see the awesome flame on the neck, it's really the whole reason I pulled the trigger on this one. It's got the EMG afterburner in it too, which is semi exciting for me. Now I just have to figure out what pickup to put in the bridge. I have a Pearly Gates to put in the neck. First I'll try out the HZ's but I have a feeling it will be wearing Duncans before too long here.

I think this thing sat in a case at the store since the late 90's. There are a couple of pick swirls and one tiny imperfection on the clear on the back, otherwise it's flawless. The fingerboard was super dry, almost white. It looked like an Indonesian Ibanez. One fret polish and fingerboard clean/condition later and it's back to nice dark rosewood.
            grats on ngd!! stop on the way home and get some murphys lemon oil. imho its the most pure and the best for guitar rosewood as it soaks in quick and doesnt weep out and dull the strings
            Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

I have Kyser lemon oil but generally use Dunlop 02 Deep conditioner. It's killer for both rosewood and ebony.

Here's some quick pics to calm you monkeys down. I can't take family shots or big set ups in good light yet because this guitar hasn't been announced to the wife...

I tried to capture the flame in the neck but didn't have tons of luck. It's far more apparent in normal light...

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Very cool Hellbat !!!
                Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
                LTD EC401VF
                Gibby Les Paul
                Ibanez RG220D O Natural
                Fender Parts Caster
                Oranger Tiny Terror Head
                2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
                TU2 Tuner
                Dunlop Cantrell Wah
                Fulltone 70's Fuzz
                Fulltone Distortion Pro1
                Fulltone Mosfet 2
                Fulltone OCD OD
                Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

Damn! What a beaut!

Comment

Well, found out why it sat in inventory. The volume pot is hosed and the bridge pickup wiring was intermittent. The EMG-HZ pickups aren't god awful but aren't exactly good either. They will be pulled shortly. The bridge is pretty thin and the neck is boomy without being full.

I'm thinking of going Pearly Gates bridge and neck. The afterburner will more than make up for lack of pickup output. Either that or I pull the afterburner as well and go dual P-Rails with either tripleshot rings or a push/pull pot setup. Right now the Pearly Gates are leading the decision race because I have a neck model on the shelf and would only need to grab a bridge version. Of course I'll probably end up going PG/Custom or Jazz/Custom at the end of the day...
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The site is being a bitch to me when I try to edit my post, it keeps inserting shit at the top or in the middle so....

The neck on this thing is thin city. It's noticeably thinner than my RR1 necks. It's still pretty comfortable and I haven't noticed any strain playing it so far.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Holy fuk I like that git. Love the inlays. Hard tail is next on my list. very nice dude enjoy. you'll fix er
                        -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

I'd go PG neck/Distortion or PG/full shred. I also like the thought of the gates/8 combo. Although Im not sure how well the alternative 8 would get along with the PG. Seems like it may be too overbearing with both selected.
                          Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

My dealer didn't have much choice of pickups in stock so I ended up with a Full Shred in the bridge and the Pearly Gates in the neck. I don't know if I'm 100% sold on the Pearly Gates or not but the full shred is awesome in this guitar. I've only ever used the full shred in a basswood body before so I was a little worried about how it might end up but it works great. I can throw off pings almost against my will.

One thing is for sure, they kill the EMG-HZ's that were in this guitar. I did keep the afterburner in there and it works great with both pickups.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'm not sure how an Alnico II would sound in that guitar, but I love it in my Godin neck position. Maybe someone here has tried one in that guitar and can chime in.
                              2011 Godin Summit CT
                              2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
                              2006 Jackson DK2 TB
                              1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
                              2000 LTD H-307
                              2003 LTD MH-301
                              2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

Working...
                              X