Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup up a DK2M. Great axe but string alignment is off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup up a DK2M. Great axe but string alignment is off.

Hey guys,

I'd like to know if this is typical for the dk2/MIJ Jacksons. It was raining when I picked this up ( parking lot CL deal) so I rushed it and missed that the bridge is off center. Otherwise, it plays great. Unfortunately, it's probably going to end up hanging in the closet if I can't resolve the problem. Any ideas other than surgery?

http://photobucket.com/dk2m
    Last edited by johnnyninja; 05-09-2012, 10:30 AM.

Simple fix, just loosen the neck, adjust accordingly then tighten up.

Comment

what plon said. it doesn't look too bad (I've seen a lot worse). But with it being a bolt on, you can just loosen it up, adjust, retighten.

Comment

My RR3 was like that. loosening/tightening the neck did the trick
        Last edited by dvscool; 05-09-2012, 09:48 PM.
        -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

I thought about that but the neck looked like it was set in the pocket correctly. I'll give it a go.

Thanks

Comment

Doesn't look to bad to me. Take a look at Dan Erlewine's books for really bad alignment problems and tips like using sandpaper if it keeps slipping out of alignment, or maybe you need to take some wood out of the sides of the pocket.

Comment

I figure if it doesn't move enough or stay put I'll remove a 16th from the treble side and throw in a brass shim. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I think you're totally screwed. I'll take it off your hands.

Comment

Man...it's so nice to know someone has my back

I got it to scoot over enough. When I'm motivated I'll get out the sandpaper and shims. I'm diggin' the maple!

Comment

Mine looks very similar. The problem with mine is that the heel is super snug in the pocket that there's no adjusting it. It's at the painter's right now. I'm going to have my luthier see if he can do something about it when it's time to put everything back together.
                    Last edited by gerryl98; 05-10-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

The dk2m's did have some neck pocket issues, you can do a search and find it. I had one that had the neck sitting crooked in the pocket, the low e side sat up higher. I returned it and got another that was perfect. Yours doesn't seem too bad and you should be able to fix it with repositioning the neck. They are really good guitars and I regret selling mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X