What pickups should I put in my RR3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups should I put in my RR3?

Hey. I'm thinking about changing the pickups in my RR3 but dunno what to put in it. My RR3 is the model with the Duncan Designed Detonators and chrome hardware. I find the Detonators to be a tad muddy, but they do sound decent enough. Should I go for the usual JB and 59 set or get something a bit different?
    2002 Classical Acoustic
    2003 Cruiser by Crafter Strat
    2003 B.C. Rich Mockingbird "Firebreather" L.E.
    2005 Jackson DKMG
    2003 Fender Stratocaster Candy Apple Red Satin L.E.
    2008 Ibanez JS100
    2009 B.C. Rick KKV
    2009 Ibanez RG350MYE L.E.
    2005 Jackson RR3 Crimson Swirl
    1989 Charvel 375 DLX
    2010 Jackson JS30KV
    2010 Fender JR Telecaster
    2003 Fender Jag-Stang
    2010 Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod
    1988 Charvel Model 4
    2007 Jackson RR24
    2012 Jackson SDX Adrian Smith
    sigpic

full shred neck,distortion bridge?

Comment

Duncan Custom bridge, Jazz neck for cleans. DiMarzio PAF Pro if you use the neck for leads.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I tried various pups in my RR3 and never really liked any of them, I think I got a dud piece of wood. Blackouts were the only ones I could really live with.
        However, the JB is my favourite metal pickup and should work great in that guitar. The Custom will do great too. I have a Custom in my RR5 with a DiMarzio PAF, very cool combination.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Emg 81/85

Comment

Mine is exceptionally bright, so it has an Invader in the bridge, and a Jazz in the neck.
            "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
              Mine is exceptionally bright, so it has an Invader in the bridge, and a Jazz in the neck.
              The Duncan Designed Detonators are based on Seymour Duncan Invaders so I'll probably be staying clear of them as I think it sounds too muddy. I always need to turn my treble up on it to make it sound nicer but I don't need to do that with anything else and I have 2 other V shaped guitars. Lol. Jazz pups are great in the neck position, but I may put something hotter in the neck. I dunno fully though.
              2002 Classical Acoustic
              2005 Jackson DKMG
              2008 Ibanez JS100
              2009 B.C. Rick KKV
              1989 Charvel 375 DLX
              2010 Jackson JS30KV
              2003 Fender Jag-Stang
              1988 Charvel Model 4
              2007 Jackson RR24
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RR3DKMG View Post
                The Duncan Designed Detonators are based on Seymour Duncan Invaders so I'll probably be staying clear of them as I think it sounds too muddy. I always need to turn my treble up on it to make it sound nicer but I don't need to do that with anything else and I have 2 other V shaped guitars. Lol. Jazz pups are great in the neck position, but I may put something hotter in the neck. I dunno fully though.
                No, they are based on Invaders in LOOKS - they actually sound nothing like real Invaders. IIRC those Detonators are based on the Distortion.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                  No, they are based on Invaders in LOOKS - they actually sound nothing like real Invaders. IIRC those Detonators are based on the Distortion.
                  Again Martin, no. That's twice now, stop repeating misinformation.

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
                  "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

X2n/air norton, 85/81, or blackouts

Comment

Evo2s are bright and hot as 40 hells. So are the Duncan full shreds and alternative 8s. As for a neck, my current favorite has to be the D-zo evo neck.
                      Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

Duncan Parallel Axis Distortion (PATB-2). All the beef of the Distortion but with the clarity of the JB, which, IMO, lacks balls.

As for the neck; 59, JB, Jazz, a Gotoh-made Jackson J-50N if you can find one - really it depends on what specific clean tone you want.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Keep the pups ya got and work them for a while..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I changed the Duncan Designed pickups in the KVX10 I picked up the other month. I can't stand the muddy sound of them either. I replaced them with the SH-13 Dimebucker and SH-1 that I had for a project I never finished. I like the Dimebucker, but it's not for everyone as it's quite different.

I think you will be happier with any set of pickups whether it's a set of Seymour Duncans or EMGs. Because you're not sure what you want, you will just get pummeled with suggestions. I would suggest trying a guitar shop and see what pickups you like, if they have similar constructed guitars (alder body and rosewood fingerboard).

Comment

Originally posted by decadence5423 View Post
                              I changed the Duncan Designed pickups in the KVX10 I picked up the other month. I can't stand the muddy sound of them either. I replaced them with the SH-13 Dimebucker and SH-1 that I had for a project I never finished. I like the Dimebucker, but it's not for everyone as it's quite different.

I think you will be happier with any set of pickups whether it's a set of Seymour Duncans or EMGs. Because you're not sure what you want, you will just get pummeled with suggestions. I would suggest trying a guitar shop and see what pickups you like, if they have similar constructed guitars (alder body and rosewood fingerboard).
                              My Model 4 has a Dimebucker in the Bridge and I like the sound of it tbh also has a coolrail in the middle and a hotrail in the neck, it's a more versatile pickup than I thought, My Pro Mod has the JB and 59 combo which I think is awesome in that guitar, I get a real beefy sound out of them without the muddy sound and my Strat has a hotrail which is the clearest pickup IMO and also one of the most versatile. I have EMGs in my DKMG the 81/85 set and my Jim Root Tele has the 81/60 set I prefer the 60 to the 85 as I think it's a bit warmer.
                              The guitar shop idea is a good one, I think I will do that.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
                              2002 Classical Acoustic
                              2005 Jackson DKMG
                              2008 Ibanez JS100
                              2009 B.C. Rick KKV
                              1989 Charvel 375 DLX
                              2010 Jackson JS30KV
                              2003 Fender Jag-Stang
                              1988 Charvel Model 4
                              2007 Jackson RR24