difference between Rhoads Elite Fsr and RR1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between Rhoads Elite Fsr and RR1

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Rhoads Elite FSR and the RR1, besides the FSR made in Japan and RR1 made in U.S.A.? They both have identical specs that I can see. Both have ebony fret board, alder body, same necks, same JB pickups, same bridges, etc. The only thing I can find is they come with different style hardcases and the made in the USA logo on RR1. It's hard to find information on FSR, now that they stopped making them. It's like the line didn't exist.
    I was going to buy a RR1 for around $2400, but I noticed a recent price drop on the FSR, and purchased one for $1050 this weekend online (the model with the tremelo is going for around $1300, but I don't really use it). I know all the guitar sites are trying to get rid of the last FSR series, it's a great deal while the supplies last. The newer X series isn't that much cheaper, isn't as good a guitar, and doesn't come with a hard case included.

Any info appreciated

Rhoads Elite: Jackson active preamp, plastic silver inlays, chrome hardware
    RR1: no preamp, mother of pearl inlays, black hardware

Comment

I couldn't find that information. I really don't care about the hardware color or the inlays. I just have to hear if the sound is better/worse/same with an active preamp vs. no preamp. I would think an active preamp would give a little more control with tone at the guitar. I also assume the preamp wouldn't always have to be on. At less than half the price, I can't complain either way. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I think it's going to be an individual thing. Without the ability to compare both for yourself, it'll be hard for you to know, and nobody else will be able to say what will be good for your tastes and style of music. I have an Elite FSR and I love the way it sounds, but another dude on this board wasn't quite digging it as much, IIRC.

Personally, and because I play death metal in B flat (using a set of DR DDT 65s), I really benefit from having the mid boost I get...keeps it from sounding too bass-y and muddy. The sound on the clean channel is simply superb. Surprisingly so. The instrument is really, really well made, and I'm sure is on par with much more expensive guitars. For me, I'd go with the Elite FSR because it's an awesome instrument and about 1000 cheaper than a USA made. If I had the money and just had to have a USA made, then I'd go with the RR1. For what *I* play, either guitar would sound absolutely great.

By the way, what kind of neck is on the RR1?? The FSR has a speed neck and it rules.

Comment

Pretty much the same, from the information I could find. The specs on the compound radius of the neck on fsr are listed from 14" to 16" on sweetwater.com and 12" to 16" on the RR1. I have, however, seen the same radius measurements listed for both on other sites. If the necks are not identical, they have to be close. It's bizarre how the specs/information from Jackson on the fsr line have vanished, now that they are discontinued. I noticed the other Rhoads FSR at sweetwater sold today. Now they only have one king V fsr left.

Comment

Here are the specs on my King V Elite I got from Jackson. I'm sure they're similar to the Rhoads.

Also, according to the specs the inlays aren't plastic, they're Stainless Steel Shark Fin Position Inlays.

Model Name: FSR KV Elite King VTM

Model Number: 291-8400-(Color#)
            Series: Elite Series
            Body: Alder with Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors
            Neck: Neck-Thru-Body Quartersawn Maple with Scarf Joint Head Stock
            Fingerboard: Ebony, 12” to 16” Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
            No. of Frets: 24 Jumbo Stainless Steel Frets
            Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
            Width @ Nut: 1.6875” (43 mm), Floyd Rose Locking Nut
            Hardware: Chrome
            Machine Heads: Sealed Die-Cast Tuners
            Bridge: Recessed Floyd Rose® OriginalTM Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo
            Pickguard: None
            Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan® JBTM TB4 Humbucking Pickup
            Middle Pickup: N/A
            Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan® JazzTM SH2N Humbucking Pickup
            Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle:
            Position 1. Bridge Pickup
            Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
            Position 3. Neck Pickup
            Controls: Volume (Bridge Pickup),
            Volume (Neck Pickup),
            Active Mid Boost
            Colors: Solid / Metallic Finish Group:
            (803) Black,
            (821) Quicksilver,
            (830) Absinthe Frost,
            Transparent Finish Group:
            (801) Amber Sunburst,
            Bevel / Pinstripe Finish Group:
            (881) Snow White with Absinthe Pinstripes
            Strings: NPS, Gauges:
            .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042
            Unique Features: “Elite” Truss Rod Cover,
            Jackson 6-In-Line Pointed Headstock,
            Compound (12” to 16”) Fingerboard Radius,
            Polished Ebony Fingerboard,
            Stainless Steel Shark Fin Position Inlays,
            Matching Headstock on Transparent Colors,
            Dunlop® Straplocks,
            Includes Pre-Loaded Rear-Mounted 9-Volt Battery Box for Use by Those Who Would Wish to Upgrade to an Active Pickup or Preamp System
            Source: Japan
            Accessories: None
            WRENCH SIZES: 7mm Box Wrench (Truss Rod Adjustment)
            U.S. MSRP: Solid / Metallic Finish Group: $1,999.99
            Bevel / Pinstripe Finish Group: $2,133.32
            Transparent Finish Group: $2,266.65
            INTRODUCED: 1/2012
            DISCONTINUED:
            DISCONTINUED COLORS:
            COMMENTS: Limited Edition FSR in 2012, sold only to Europe and independent dealers in the US,
            Uses Deluxe Jackson®/SKB® Molded Case P/N 2996102506, US MSRP $174.99 (Included),
            Uses Standard Multi-Fit Jackson® Gig Bag P/N 2991511006, US MSRP $59.99 (Not Included)
            Specs: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

Comment

Originally posted by Dannibal Corpse View Post
              By the way, what kind of neck is on the RR1?? The FSR has a speed neck and it rules.
              If someone prefers thin necks i think an elite guitar is the one to buy in this comparison.
              All the RR1s i've played had more chunkier necks with a more rounded profil. I think (and old specs told the same) that it is very much a usa soloist (SL2H e.g.) neck
              but with 22 frets.
              And yeah you are right the elite guitars do have the thinnest necks i've played on an higher end neck-through Jackson since the early 90s imports.

But that being said, i think the RR1 will be made of higher quality woods.
              Last edited by StealthPro; 07-25-2012, 04:18 AM.

Comment

From another thread:

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                The Elite series is the last batch of Jacksons to come out of the now closed Japanese factory. They feature a mid-boost pot, silver inlays, stainless steel frets, locking nut bolts and string lock screws as well as chrome OFR, hardware, headstock logo and pickup rings. Three body shapes (RR, Soloist and KV) were released in various finishes.
                EDIT: So the differences between an RR1 other than their country of origin and pricetags are the chrome logo and hardware and stainless steel upgrades, stainless steel frets and silver plastic inlays.
                It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Working...
                X