• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by axmann View Post
    Oh yeah, bitchin' guitar.
    I concur!
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

These are the specs I got from Jackson after inquiring.
      On the inlays: note it specifies 24 Jumbo Stainless Steel Frets as well as Stainless Steel Shark Fin Position Inlays. That seems pretty damn specific to me. That or I just want to believe they're metal and not plastic. I invite someone to provide enough substantial evidence to prove otherwise though.

Model Name: FSR KV Elite King VTM

Model Number: 291-8400-(Color#)
      Series: Elite Series
      Body: Alder with Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors
      Neck: Neck-Thru-Body Quartersawn Maple with Scarf Joint Head Stock
      Fingerboard: Ebony, 12” to 16” Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
      No. of Frets: 24 Jumbo Stainless Steel Frets
      Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
      Width @ Nut: 1.6875” (43 mm), Floyd Rose Locking Nut
      Hardware: Chrome
      Machine Heads: Sealed Die-Cast Tuners
      Bridge: Recessed Floyd Rose® OriginalTM Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo
      Pickguard: None
      Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan® JBTM TB4 Humbucking Pickup
      Middle Pickup: N/A
      Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan® JazzTM SH2N Humbucking Pickup
      Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle:
      Position 1. Bridge Pickup
      Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
      Position 3. Neck Pickup
      Controls: Volume (Bridge Pickup),
      Volume (Neck Pickup),
      Active Mid Boost
      Colors: Solid / Metallic Finish Group:
      (803) Black,
      (821) Quicksilver,
      (830) Absinthe Frost,
      Transparent Finish Group:
      (801) Amber Sunburst,
      Bevel / Pinstripe Finish Group:
      (881) Snow White with Absinthe Pinstripes
      Strings: NPS, Gauges:
      .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042
      Unique Features: “Elite” Truss Rod Cover,
      Jackson 6-In-Line Pointed Headstock,
      Compound (12” to 16”) Fingerboard Radius,
      Polished Ebony Fingerboard,
      Stainless Steel Shark Fin Position Inlays,
      Matching Headstock on Transparent Colors,
      Dunlop® Straplocks,
      Includes Pre-Loaded Rear-Mounted 9-Volt Battery Box for Use by Those Who Would Wish to Upgrade to an Active Pickup or Preamp System
      Source: Japan
      Accessories: None
      WRENCH SIZES: 7mm Box Wrench (Truss Rod Adjustment)
      U.S. MSRP: Solid / Metallic Finish Group: $1,999.99
      Bevel / Pinstripe Finish Group: $2,133.32
      Transparent Finish Group: $2,266.65
      INTRODUCED: 1/2012
      DISCONTINUED:
      DISCONTINUED COLORS:
      COMMENTS: Limited Edition FSR in 2012, sold only to Europe and independent dealers in the US,
      Uses Deluxe Jackson®/SKB® Molded Case P/N 2996102506, US MSRP $174.99 (Included),
      Uses Standard Multi-Fit Jackson® Gig Bag P/N 2991511006, US MSRP $59.99 (Not Included)
      Specs: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

Comment

Awesome, thanks! Doesn't say anything about the matching Floyd string lock screws or nut locking screws though... I'm pretty sure the inlays are plastic, if you tap them gently with the whammy bar they click rather than ping.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I'll admit that the specs I got are a little weird. I mean it mentions that it Includes Pre-Loaded Rear-Mounted 9-Volt Battery Box for Use by Those Who Would Wish to Upgrade to an Active Pickup or Preamp System, but doesn't really say much about the mid boost. In fact, it kind of makes the 9v sound like it's optional - which it isn't.

These things are still kind of a mystery to me. Rainbow Guitars in Phoenix, AZ got a single Elite Soloist in and had this to say:

This killer axe is a Japanese “Prototype” of "Something Wicked That May Come". Who knows if we’ll ever see these in production, but this Amber Burst prototype is 1 of 6 in the entire world.This shred monster is equipped with Stainless Steel frets! That means these frets will never wear out, and the hardened steel adds a tight, sharp attack to every note you play, hammer, or pull-off. Add some Duncan pickups, an original Floyd trem, a chromed Jackson logo, and we’re talking METAL.
          Another prototype feature is the onboard active-electronic EQ filter. Running off a 9-volt battery, the 3rd knob controls the EQ curve. Turn the knob all the way down, and the guitar has glassy single coil qualities, turn the knob up and the sound has a lot of low mids. This interesting unity-gain circuit allows the player to subtly alter the tonal characteristics of the axe.
          One other bonus, this guitar FLUTTERS!!! I’ve never played a Japanese Jackson that flutters as much as the USA Jacksons… until now. Don’t let this one get away.
          Shred.
          So the Elites are prototypes then? And am I right in assuming that there's maybe 6 of each color and body style on the market? And if they are prototypes, does that also mean Jackson Japan isn't shutting down? What the Hell?

And I guess we'll just have to cut the inlays out to see for sure. If they're not plastic, they definitely seem like they're coated in something. Either way, awesome guitars.

Comment

That's bizarre... They can't ALL be prototypes, but maybe Rainbow Guitars managed to get one. I doubt there are only 6 of each colour and body style on the market, that sounds ridiculously low and would make them extremely rare but then again, they aren't exactly easy to come by nor are they all over the place in every finish. I do know that there aren't that many Elite series guitars available and whatever few were manufactured sold out almost instantly. I was lucky to snag mine from the last place in the UK that had the KV in stock.

Originally posted by RD

Comment

I don't think that they are prototypes, from when was this quote of "Rainbow Guitars"? Here in Germany, they appear frequently in low quantities. But the specs are anywhere you look the same and contain nothing new or specific

And I guess we'll just have to cut the inlays out to see for sure. If they're not plastic, they definitely seem like they're coated in something. Either way, awesome guitars.
              VanHoosen, go on, be the first one .

Comment

Ok, so I just got off the phone with Rainbow Guitars and they confirmed that the Elite series is in fact a prototype series of 5 or 6 guitars in each color and body style. I'm guessing that means there's somewhere around 100 (give or take) that were built.

Basically what he told me was the Elite series rose out of competition between Jackson Japan and the X series being made in India. Since Jackson is shifting its mid-line manufacturing operations primarily to India - and offering guitars with pretty decent specs at $500 - Jackson Japan scrambled to throw something together that would keep them relevant in a post X-series marketplace. Fender has been doing a terrible job marketing some of the more obscure Jackson's, so its no surprise that no one at Fender knows much about these and that 90% of the specs out there are wrong. Like the description said, who knows if we'll see these in full production, and this very well could be the last thing we see from Jackson Japan. Either way, these are rad guitars and I'd be tempted to buy another if I had the cash.

He also mentioned that the Floyd nut and screws are stainless steel - a fact that was absent from the spec sheet Fender gave me - and that the inlays are... plastic.

But who cares, because I have a stainless steel water bottle to match:

Comment

VanHoosen, you rule.

Originally posted by RD

Comment

That fact that they are prototypes is a little bit surprising to me, but I have to deal with it. So, if there are only few of each available, everybody here should sum up his catch so that we can verify whether this story is true And of course, the inlays match fantastic to the rest of the guitar, so really, i do not care about what they are made of

Comment

Let the serial number posting begin! I will post mine when i get home.

Originally posted by RD

Comment

#111140 << rr black elite rhoads
                        #111148 << cabernet elite soloist

both with floyd rose

well, i just fell in love with this babys don't know how to explain else

Comment

Id really like to pick one of these up, especially a Silver/Dragon KV. Can anyone confirm with certainty that the inlays are stainless? If they are, thats a big selling point for me. A closeup look with a decent magnifier should be able to shed more light on it.
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

The inlays in mine look to be plastic.
                            My Toys:
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                            '94 Dinky HX in Black
                            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by VanHoosen View Post
                              Ok, so I just got off the phone with Rainbow Guitars and they confirmed that the Elite series is in fact a prototype series of 5 or 6 guitars in each color and body style. I'm guessing that means there's somewhere around 100 (give or take) that were built.

Basically what he told me was the Elite series rose out of competition between Jackson Japan and the X series being made in India. Since Jackson is shifting its mid-line manufacturing operations primarily to India - and offering guitars with pretty decent specs at $500 - Jackson Japan scrambled to throw something together that would keep them relevant in a post X-series marketplace. Fender has been doing a terrible job marketing some of the more obscure Jackson's, so its no surprise that no one at Fender knows much about these and that 90% of the specs out there are wrong. Like the description said, who knows if we'll see these in full production, and this very well could be the last thing we see from Jackson Japan. Either way, these are rad guitars and I'd be tempted to buy another if I had the cash.

He also mentioned that the Floyd nut and screws are stainless steel - a fact that was absent from the spec sheet Fender gave me - and that the inlays are... plastic.

:
                              I just can't seem to buy their explanation. Why would the Japan plant worry about staying relevant when they're being shut down? And there are way more than 6 Black Soloists like mine, or there are quite a few stores that are lying about having them. Also, if they did make that few of each that would put less of a model on the street than most limited runs coming from the custom shop. If that was the case I don't think they'd be selling them at the price point they are. There are too many things that just don't make sense for me to believe the guys explanation.

Personally, I think its what was said in another thread. The Japan shop wanted to go out in style so they put out a limited edition that rivals the quality of the US models just like they did in the early 90's.

And, yeah, getting a serial number database going for the Elites is a great idea. I'll post my serial when I get home later.
                              Last edited by AdRock; 07-12-2012, 12:11 PM.
                              My Toys:
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                              '94 Dinky HX in Black
                              '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                                Can anyone confirm with certainty that the inlays are stainless? If they are, thats a big selling point for me. A closeup look with a decent magnifier should be able to shed more light on it.
                                No, even though the specs eluded to that, it's been confirmed that they're actually plastic. The frets are in fact stainless though. I think Drum City Guitar Land has a silver dragon soloist, but I'm not entirely sure I've seen a silver dragon KV elite. I've seen quicksilver, black, white with absinthe bevels, and a sunburst one. Maybe someone can produce a picture? Either way, you should definitely act fast on these. Back when I picked mine up in January, I think Sweetwater had just about one of every body style and color. Not so any more! I've seen two at Drum City, one at Rainbow, and a couple other Elite Rhoads at random shops in the US.

Comment

Working...
                                X