NGD: Jackson SLS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Jackson SLS3

Got this on eBay from the big Piney Hills Music liquidation (which I'm really sad to see, BTW). Holy crap, what an awesome guitar. I'd played a number of SLSMGs in the shops before, but this SLS3 is much more to my liking: thicker neck profile (absolutely identical to my 1990 Soloist Pro), block inlays, more acoustically resonant, and with non-suck electronics. This instrument is absolutely at the same quality level as the USAs or the early Pro Series. Having it makes me even sadder that Jackson shut down its Japanese operations. They were turning out some fantastic guitars.

It's got JB/59 pickups in place of the EMGs on the old SLSMG, in case you don't know the model. I'm normally not a fan of the JB, but it works well in an all-mahogany guitar like this. I've been tracking some fusion stuff with it already, and it is the sonic equivalent of a fine brown ale.

If you're looking for a fixed-bridge Soloist, I would totally search one of these out--even ahead of an SL1T or SLH2T. They are that good.

Killer guitar! I love the block inlays with the abalone stripe. These are Japanese made, right?
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Yes, they're Japanese made.

Comment

Congrats! I just picked up an SLS3 recently as well. I definitely agree the quality of these is on par with the USA models. I have an SL2H and the SLS3 plays every bit as well. BTW, the bridge pickup is actually a '59. I've since replaced the pickups in mine with DiMarzio Dominions.

Comment

Nice score! Technically, they don't have "block" inlays. They're opposing sharkins with an abalone "eye" in the middle.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric View Post
            BTW, the bridge pickup is actually a '59.
            So it is. I didn't bother to unscrew the pickup rings to check--it took a fair bit of Googling to find the detailed specs. Maybe that's why I like it the way it is, though I typically prefer the Pearly Gates over the 59 in the bridge. I've come to prefer lower output pickups in recent years. I play through an Axe-FX, so it's not like I need to drive the amp harder to get gain.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Nice score! Technically, they don't have "block" inlays. They're opposing sharkins with an abalone "eye" in the middle.
            I know, but I prefer to think of them as "blocks with a twist." Just the right amount of bling factor, unlike the Schecter Hellraiser or Charvel Desolations.

Comment

So you're the one who outbid me. congrats.

Comment

Damn, I want one of those... the ones you can find over here are awfully expensive, thought. Congrats on the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                  I know, but I prefer to think of them as "blocks with a twist." Just the right amount of bling factor, unlike the Schecter Hellraiser or Charvel Desolations.
                  True. A lot of Schecters and new Charvels just have too much bling going on, and it makes them look gaudy.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    So you're the one who outbid me. congrats.
                    Sorry about that.

I'd definitely keep your eyes open for one, though. They're worth it.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful!! I passed on one of these a few months ago and totally regret it. Nice score!!

Comment

What is the username for the auctions?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                          What is the username for the auctions?
                          "pineyhillsmusic"

They don't have anything for sale now, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X