'05 DXMG rarity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '05 DXMG rarity?

Am poised to trade for a '05 DXMG. Since I know little other than it's made in Japan, the trem model, what's the story with the DXMG? Are the EMG's active or the HZ's? Specifically, this one is reportedly somewhat rare in that it's not the Korean basswood version.
    Did Jackson move to have the dxmg made in Korea with basswood around '05 or '06? Was there a small batch made in Japan before the changeover to Korean?
    Any known issues with the '05's dxmg's?

Last edited by vector; 07-11-2012, 05:34 PM.

If it's the same as the DKMGT, 3 knobs would indicate HZ's plus boost and 2 knobs would typically indicate full EMG's.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Owner says he's put in an 81/60 combo, emg pots, & switchcraft jack and 3 way selector. My guess is it originally had the HZ's. Shame of it is, I'd prefer the passive HZ's so I could rip them out to put in something like Bare Knuckles or an EVH.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
        Specifically, this one is reportedly somewhat rare in that it's not the Korean basswood version.
        Did Jackson move to have the dxmg made in Korea with basswood around '05 or '06? Was there a small batch made in Japan before the changeover to Korean?
        Where are you getting this shitty info? Let me guess, the guy who wants to trade the DXMG? He is blowing smoke up your ass!

DXMG was one of Jackson's best selling imports for quite a while. It's not rare at all.
        This model was never produced in Korea. It was MIJ since 2002. The body wood was changed from alder to basswood at some point (2006?). It seems like this seller is untrustworthy or ignorant or both. I'd walk away from this deal.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Where are you getting this shitty info? Let me guess, the guy who wants to trade the DXMG? He is blowing smoke up your ass!

DXMG was one of Jackson's best selling imports for quite a while. It's not rare at all.
          This model was never produced in Korea. It was MIJ since 2002. The body wood was changed from alder to basswood at some point (2006?). It seems like this seller is untrustworthy or ignorant or both. I'd walk away from this deal.
          +1 to what Ron said. Rare? My ass is rarer - one of a kind

I think I was told the first year was Made in India and might have been Cedro wood?

Original pickups would have been EMG HZ3's.

The last one I bought was $180 + tax. Great guitar, easily "worth" $300 but just doesn't seem to go for that much for some reason.

Gun Metal Grey is a little less common than black.

Comment

Last edited by CHARVEL_strat_81; 07-12-2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

if i may, the info about the guitar i have came directly from asking jackson. the black MIJ alder dxmg came out for 2002(also the first year dxmg's 02-03 were made india) and was very popular for good reason. the gun metal grey was introduced much later prior to fender coming on board. and production switched to basswood in japan at serial #975xxxxx. also i never told him it came with the active EMG's, i told i had all the electronics upgraded. im not trying to make this guitar anything it isnt, its a wonderful MIJ dinky with 2 humbuckers and a reverse headstock, that will stack up to any dk2 favorably, i have loved it and now im trying to work out a mutually beneficial deal with another jackson lover plain and simple. ok vector thats all i had to say just wanted to put that out there for these guys, nothing to do with you, youve been great to deal with
              Last edited by digiadaamore; 07-12-2012, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the DXMG did come with active EMGs stock after some point.
                It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                  I'm pretty sure the DXMG did come with active EMGs stock after some point.
                  No, it didn't.

The DKMG was upgraded from HZ's to real EMGs in the mid 2000's (2005?).

Comment

The DXMG started out with a poplar body and EMG HZs (according to the 2002 catalog). According to the 2003 catalog, it was alder.
                    In the 2006 catalog, it says basswood and HZ pups, but the picture shows regular EMGs. Jackson's catalogs have been known to have errors, though.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

:dead: Seriously. We al know about the original spec and the body wood change in 2006. If I got a used DXMG where the seller had already upgraded the pickups and pots/switches, I'd be stoked. Sadly, all these great deals don't happen in the UK, or at least once in a blue moon. The DXMG is a great guitar.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Bah, DKMG, DXMG, same shit. Apart from the former having piranha inlays and the latter having sharkfins, what's the difference between the two?

Originally posted by RD
                        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                          Bah, DKMG, DXMG, same shit. Apart from the former having piranha inlays and the latter having sharkfins, what's the difference between the two?
                          DKMG has an arched top, the DXMG is flat.

Comment

Here's the catalog pic with the DXMG with EMGs, even though the specs say HZ. http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...2006Page21.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              DKMG has an arched top, the DXMG is flat.
                              Ah yes! Thanks!

Originally posted by RD

Comment

Working...
                              X