Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dammit, I can't get this down! Please don't kick me off this forum...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dammit, I can't get this down! Please don't kick me off this forum...

Please excuse my language, but shit!! I'm so pissed off, I can't get it straight what is what with these dang Dinky's. Here's the deal, if you can handle another of my ignorant questions.

There is a Dinky of SOME type at a pawn shop that I want. It is a Dinky of SOME type. It is amberburst with a quilt top, which I love. BUT, the price on it is $399, which means $325-$350 for me. SO...

What the heck is JS? Where is it made, how do I recognize it?

What is DK2? Where is it made, how do I recognize it?

What is DX10d? Where is it made, how do I recognize it?

And are there other versions to confuse me even further that I haven't even found yet?

They are all Dinky's, right?

One guy online has a pic of one of these that he says is a limited run from Korea (1 year only) and calls it a JS.

Another online place has DK2S's, which appear to be the same damn guitar, and they are $800! Japan made, they say.

And then this other one which ALSO looks like the same guitar is a DX10d, which is $479, and I assume is the India-made version.

So my question is, was there a Korean limited run, and is it badass, like this guy says, and if so, how do I tell it from a Japanese version, which this used pawnshop one might also be. I want this one at the pawnshop if it is Korean or Japanese, but not if it's made anywhere else.

I apologize for what sounds like ranting, but I'm so damn confused, and I really want a Korean or Japan amberburst Dinky. But I don't want to get another India-made version like what I traded for yesterday, unknowingly....my own fault b/c I can't get this crap down!

If someone could spoon-feed me these details (if not, I totally understand...I'm pissed at myself, so you guys probably hate me by now) I would be even MORE eternally grateful. TIA! PLEASE HELP!!

Dana <~~~
    '85 Rhoads Custom
    '86 SD Str*t
    '86 Model 4 (5)
    '87 Model 1
    '87 Model 6
    '88 Model 3DR
    '90 650 XL
    '94 KE-3
    '97 DR Amberburst
    '97 Dinky BOFlames
    '05 SD Copperhead

Been under a rock the past 10 years huh Dana?

Pretty much any 7/8s Strat-ish body is a Dinky. Usually with sharp body edges instead of rounded.

DK2 = good. Around $300
    DK2S $800 = bad. Should be around $400
    Both used to be made in Japan. No more.

I'm sorry but I stay away from JS and DX10D so I can't help you there, but I think those prices you are getting are from another world. A DX10D should be about $200. How to spot? Lack of binding usually.

And surprise! Jacksons and Charvels aren't made in Japan any more. Jackson imports are made in India and Charvel imports are made in China.

Welcome to the new world.
    Last edited by DonP; 07-24-2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

If you had pics and more info such as pickup configuration/make, color of the hardware, possible description of the trem, etc. Even a serial number would help with country of origin.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        Been under a rock the past 10 years huh Dana?

Pretty much any 7/8s Strat-ish body is a Dinky. Usually with sharp body edges instead of rounded.

DK2 = good. Around $300
        Both used to be made in Japan. No more.

I'm sorry but I stay away from JS and DX10D so I can't help you there, but I think those prices you are getting are from another world. A DX10D should be about $200. How to spot? Lack of binding usually.

And surprise! Jacksons and Charvels aren't made in Japan any more. Jackson imports are made in India and Charvel imports are made in China.

Welcome to the new world.
        Crap, yes I have been under a rock when it comes to Jackson imports. I have USA Jacksons, Japan Charvels, and am pretty apt with serials and all that with those guitars. However, I have never owned an import Jackson until this year...my first was a Blue/Orange flame Dinky which I KNOW is Japanese. And then the Kelly I got last week is also Japanese....YEAH! But man, I have been so out of it as you stated when it comes to these guitars.

So, was there NO Korean limited run Dinky in Amberburst like I saw on this one guy's website??

And yes, I just looked at my Dinky from yesterday, and as you said, NO BINDING. Sure as heck. Thank you, bro'! Didn't I sell you a Charvel years ago? Seems I did, but I could be wrong. Thanks again.

Dana <~~~
        '85 Rhoads Custom
        '86 SD Str*t
        '86 Model 4 (5)
        '87 Model 1
        '87 Model 6
        '88 Model 3DR
        '90 650 XL
        '94 KE-3
        '97 DR Amberburst
        '97 Dinky BOFlames
        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Originally posted by Codex View Post
          If you had pics and more info such as pickup configuration/make, color of the hardware, possible description of the trem, etc. Even a serial number would help with country of origin.
          Funny you say that, for I am going there tomorrow for exactly that reason, and I'm going to post the info here b/4 I make another stupid buy. I just can't get used to the idea of these guitars being made in India and China. And it seems to me that they won't ever be worth much, unlike the Japanese stuff, and even the Korean stuff seems to be heading. Thanks so much for your reply!

Dana <~~~
          '85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            I think you're off a little on the DK2S pricing there Don. When you consider they are no longer in production and have a sustainer they should fetch a bit of a premium.

Also, I'll echo that if you want a guitar properly id'ed here best thing is to provide pics and a serial and 99 times out of 100 you'll get the exact model and rough date of manufacture.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

You can start here for some light reading

It may still be overwhelming but you just might be able to make some sense of it.

Comment

+1 read the list it should help you figure it out.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Okay, I will read some more on that thread. I read quite a bit already, but man, it's LONG! And yeah, I know the best way is to post pics...I used to do that. I've actually been around since before the new JCF, but I sorta come and go. I'll see if they'll let me take some pics of this axe. Thanks again to all you guys.

Dana <~~~
                  '85 Rhoads Custom
                  '86 SD Str*t
                  '86 Model 4 (5)
                  '87 Model 1
                  '87 Model 6
                  '88 Model 3DR
                  '90 650 XL
                  '94 KE-3
                  '97 DR Amberburst
                  '97 Dinky BOFlames
                  '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Just get the pics AND SERIAL NUMBERS.

That thread that Codex found seems oddly India-centric
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

If they won't let you take a picture or two, make sure to at least get the S/N. That's like 80% of the battle right there.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                        I think you're off a little on the DK2S pricing there Don. When you consider they are no longer in production and have a sustainer they should fetch a bit of a premium.

Also, I'll echo that if you want a guitar properly id'ed here best thing is to provide pics and a serial and 99 times out of 100 you'll get the exact model and rough date of manufacture.
                        It'd be nice if they were $400, for sure, but the Sustainer keeps those prices up. You can buy an older (H-S-S) DK2 for your $300 and put a Sustainer ($300) in it and get the same guitar for a total of $600.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by guitarforceone View Post
                          Didn't I sell you a Charvel years ago?
                          No, interesting enough, I've gotten most of my Charvels from stores or ebay. My 750XL came from Travis (can't remember his handle on the forums). He was going the Hamer route and selling off his J/C guitars.

And regarding the Sustainer pricing, $400 is the most I'd pay. I haven't been convinced that the sustainer is much more than a gimmic and not worth adding more than $100 to the value of a guitar.
                          Last edited by DonP; 07-28-2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

if it helps the DK2's have binding on the neck whereas the JS and DX do not. I agree with don the JS and DX are not really recomended not in a world where you can get a like new DK2M for $375 shipped with case like i did two days ago

Comment

Originally posted by CHARVEL_strat_81 View Post
                              if it helps the DK2's have binding on the neck whereas the JS and DX do not. I agree with don the JS and DX are not really recomended not in a world where you can get a like new DK2M for $375 shipped with case like i did two days ago

Theres no point in getting a js or dx when you can get japanese jackson's for crazy cheap. For example I just saw a dk2 with a Jackson hardshell case for $350.
                              Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                              Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Working...
                              X