Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone replace a jt580lp trem with a OFR or Schaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone replace a jt580lp trem with a OFR or Schaller?

I have a Jackson sl3 that I love but the jt580lp trem is not staying in tune anymore. I don't want to replace it with another jt580lp, would rather upgrade and be done with it. I saw the audiozone site where someone used a ofr and it fit, even though there was a little space on the sides. Anyone here made the swap with a jt580lp? I know one of my problems is one of the posts is coming loose when doing pull ups. Really debating on getting rid of the guitar and getting another that comes with the factory ofr, but if I could do the swap, it would be a lot cheaper and I do like the guitar. Thanks.

Wow, no I don't think anyone's done that..... you could try the search feature, there are at least 15 threads about this.... here's one ~

Cheers
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Nope, totally unheard-of.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
        Wow, no I don't think anyone's done that..... you could try the search feature, there are at least 15 threads about this.... here's one ~

Cheers
        Who pissed in your cornflakes? Sorry dude. I did try the search feature, didn't get that thread, just others where half said it would and others it wouldn't fit. No matter, I think I'm better off getting another guitar that already has a ofr and selling mine instead of trying to modify it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by damon1 View Post
          No matter, I think I'm better off getting another guitar that already has a ofr and selling mine instead of trying to modify it. Thanks.
          So why bother asking anyway?
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

An ofr and a schaller will fit no problem. The ofr will leave a gap on the bass side, while the schaller will be an almost perfect fit.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
              An ofr and a schaller will fit no problem. The ofr will leave a gap on the bass side, while the schaller will be an almost perfect fit.
              +1 i installed a schaller on my new ke-3 and it is perfect so perfect my other jackson imports are all getting a schallerl now

Comment

Originally posted by damon1 View Post
                I have a Jackson sl3 that I love but the jt580lp trem is not staying in tune anymore. I don't want to replace it with another jt580lp, would rather upgrade and be done with it. I saw the audiozone site where someone used a ofr and it fit, even though there was a little space on the sides. Anyone here made the swap with a jt580lp? I know one of my problems is one of the posts is coming loose when doing pull ups. Really debating on getting rid of the guitar and getting another that comes with the factory ofr, but if I could do the swap, it would be a lot cheaper and I do like the guitar. Thanks.
                Yes. Here's what you do.....Sell the JT580 for $50...that's what I sold mine for recently...and then get the Schaller on Ebay for the $160 shipped. Bam!!! Net cost is $110 for a better tremolo. Don't forget to tell the ebay vendor you want the R3 nut. I put the Schaller in my USA So Cal, and then put the Korean Floyd from the So Cal in my DK2M. You can also get the Korean Floyd on Ebay for about $85 from dudes that part out Charvels.

Comment

Thanks for the input. From what I read on the net and other forums, I thought the Schaller stud spacing was different and the locknut holes wouldnt line up,and the locknut was higher than the stock Jackson one. I did see the OFR fit, but like some said, it looks pretty bad. Here is a pic I found

With the Schaller, can you just enlarge the post holes or will you have to plug them and redrill new ones? Any problems with intonation, string spacing, etc? Will the backplate still fit, not sure if the Schaller has a larger block? Not too worried about the locking nut as I can use the stock Jackson one. Sorry to ask so many questions, just want to know what I'm getting into before attempting it. The Schaller looks like a good fit from the pics in the above thread, just a little room in the back, no big deal there. Again, I appreciate the advice!!!

Comment

You don't need to do anything with the trem posts. They are all the same spacing.

These trems have a wide intonation range, I doubt you'll have issues.

Blocks can all be swapped. If yours is a full recess which it should be, you'll need a 32mm block.

Comment

Yeah, I just found a page listing the dimensions for the Schaller. It shows the block is 43mm, so that will have to be switched out.

Comment

Here's a link that might help. It's helped me when I was curious about tremolos. Hope it helps.

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm
                        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Honestly the gap on the bass side is a small price to pay for getting a better trem. Cosmetics are not that important.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hi there! I had a similar problem, because my jt580lp on my Jackson SL3 also did not stay in tune. So I replaced the original studs by Schaller studs. The new were a little bit too big and exhibit a different "profile", so I had to sand it (? with sandpaper) so that they fit. And now it works fine again. What I have found on the internet about the OFR, it should fit very well by replacing the jt580. The measure between the studs are quite exactly the one for a OFR. The block measures about 35mm if I remember right. Broken bridge saddles can be replaced by some of a similar low profile typ of LTD/ESP guitars. It looks strange because it is black, but it works fine for about 2 years now. And please, give feedback about your steps, because I'm also going to change my JT in the near future .

Comment

Looks like the floyd block is 37mm. I think I'm better off just selling the guitar and finding an older used Charvel, or other guitar that already has a Schaller or a OFR. I really appreciate everyones input.
                              Last edited by damon1; 07-28-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X