Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone replace a jt580lp trem with a OFR or Schaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stud spacing is the same no issues with that.
    Did that swap many times.If the stud anchor is pulling up take it out and glue it back in easy peasy.
    The JT-580 Lp is a fine trem and if you are having tuning issues maybe you are not stretching the strings properly.
    Lots of things can cause tuning issues one easy fix is replace the studs with the OFR fine thread studs.Or wrap teflon tape around the stock trem studs and put them back in.
    I wouldn't just sell the guitar over something like that if you like it.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Definately not improper string stretching and the anchor is still flush, so thats not it. I think the knife edges are just worn. Also, the trem is over ten years old, so for a floyd copy, I can't complain. I'm going to pull the trem out tonight and take a look, maybe put a little grease on the knife edges, see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Honestly the gap on the bass side is a small price to pay for getting a better trem. Cosmetics are not that important.
        I agree and want to add IF your jackson is a dark color you wont even really see it! that pic you posted is a natural wood finish making the OFR stick out like a NUN at a Iron maiden concert!!

Comment

If you put a schaller in a dk2m, would you have a gap on the bass side of the guitar also?
          Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
          Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Originally posted by CHARVEL_strat_81 View Post
            I agree and want to add IF your jackson is a dark color you wont even really see it! that pic you posted is a natural wood finish making the OFR stick out like a NUN at a Iron maiden concert!!
            lol, exactly!! Unfortunately my guitar is a light color and has the chrome hardware which would probably make it more noticeable.

Comment

Oh well that SL3 has a Takeuchi JT580LP. Very decent trems, much better than newer JT580LPs. However, the baseplates are bigger and will leave an even bigger gap if you put an OFR or even Schaller in there. I would try to find a replacement one to see if that does the trick, I dont think youll like how the OFR looks.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

As a matter of fact, heres one. You can always tell the Takeuchi because it has black fine tuners, not matching chrome. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-JT58...item4168b74a9c
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Looks like you have a Takeuchi trem already.
                  Check the knife edges for wear if you have some burrs take a file to it and smooth it out.My guess the posts are worn.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Maiden89 View Post
                    If you put a schaller in a dk2m, would you have a gap on the bass side of the guitar also?
                    NO the schaller is a perfect fit

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                      Oh well that SL3 has a Takeuchi JT580LP. Very decent trems, much better than newer JT580LPs. However, the baseplates are bigger and will leave an even bigger gap if you put an OFR or even Schaller in there. I would try to find a replacement one to see if that does the trick, I dont think youll like how the OFR looks.
                      Yeah, I've given up on the Schaller or Floyd, I do think either will look bad and really dont want to put $200 into the guitar and it looking like a hack job. Sounded like a good idea at first, but seeing how they look with the big gaps and the cost, not really worth it to me. I'll try and fix mine to sell it and pick up something with the schaller or floyd already in it.

Comment

Originally posted by damon1 View Post
                        Looks like the floyd block is 37mm. I think I'm better off just selling the guitar and finding an older used Charvel, or other guitar that already has a Schaller or a OFR. I really appreciate everyones input.
                        you can specify the block size when you order it. Floyds can also come with 43mm or 32mm blocks. As does the Schaller. Plenty of Schallers in fully recessed guitars, which you wouldn't see if you were restricted to a 43mm block.

If you really like the guitar and the trem is the only issue you have with it, it is absolutely worth spending the money on. Keep the old trem and when (or if) you decide to sell it, pop the old one back on there and keep the OFR/Schaller for your next guitar that needs a trem upgrade.

If it's capable of being fixed for sale, why can't you fix it for you? If it isn't able to be fixed, are you fobbing your trem problem off on some unsuspecting sucker?
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          you can specify the block size when you order it. Floyds can also come with 43mm or 32mm blocks. As does the Schaller. Plenty of Schallers in fully recessed guitars, which you wouldn't see if you were restricted to a 43mm block.

If you really like the guitar and the trem is the only issue you have with it, it is absolutely worth spending the money on. Keep the old trem and when (or if) you decide to sell it, pop the old one back on there and keep the OFR/Schaller for your next guitar that needs a trem upgrade.

If it's capable of being fixed for sale, why can't you fix it for you? If it isn't able to be fixed, are you fobbing your trem problem off on some unsuspecting sucker?
                          All the Floyd and Schaller trems I've seen for sale new come with the 37 0r 42 mm block. The only thing I saw was different size locking nut to choose from. Where are you seeing them where you choose the block size? Also, NO, I'm not dumping my problems on some sucker. Not sure why you brought that up, I said if I fixed it, then I was going to put it up for sale. Big difference. Guitar shop here put new studs in and it works fine now anyway. I like the guitar but it's not the holy grail to me. To me, its better to sell the guitar and just get one with what I want on it already. I've seen the Charvel 475, Hamer Diablo, etc. going used around $500, so to me, not worth modifying mine and spending $200, plus it looking bad with the big gaps where the route is. Thats just me, everyone has there own opinion on what they want. I considered putting the new trem in mine after listening to everyones advice who had done it vs buying another guitar, and getting another guitar works better for me.
                          Last edited by damon1; 07-31-2012, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X