New to the stable: SLXMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the stable: SLXMG

Been awhile since I added a JC to the collection. Bought this used & it is in great condition. No dings, scratches, or buckle rash, The frets need a polish, but othewise she plays great. Eventually I will add the OFR from my DXMG as this will become the new main player.
    Full shots front & back:

Body shots/close us. I didn't realize these had body binding. Looks cool I think.

I'm sure there are other reviews out there, but you can't have too many can you.
    The neck is pretty thin, thinner than my '01 DXMG anyway. It comes close to my KV PRO DM neck. Although this has a more flat neck profile across the back. The EMGs are what they are. I still don't like 81s in the bridge, they are too thin sounding there for me, so eventually those will get swapped around so the 85 is in the bridge. The controls work nice. No issues with the electronics. My only real gripe is this is the 1st Jackson I have had where the volume knob is located poorly. At some point I will swap the pots around &/or see if there is some type of low profile pot that can be placed there instead.
    Last edited by Hamner1; 11-14-2012, 07:28 PM. Reason: correct some keyboard typo errors.
    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Congrats on the sl! I cant wait to play my SLX after i get it, i have read these necks are exact to the USA SL carve?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamner1 View Post
      MY DXMG is on the FS block. Pics & description can be seen on the MTS forum.
      Nice end run around the rules. That should be in classifieds.
      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

My appologies to the Admins & the Platinum members. It has been 3 or 4 years or so since I've been in the classifieds, nor do I sell my guitars frequently, so I was unaware. I was thinking it would get more exposure in the sig, hence it being there. At any rate my sig has been updated so I do not skirt the classified rule any further.
        KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
        I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Originally posted by CHARVEL_strat_81 View Post
          Congrats on the sl! I cant wait to play my SLX after i get it, i have read these necks are exact to the USA SL carve?
          Thank you. I thought I was getting a pretty good deal, which it kind of is, but I see you got a slighty better deal as yours was new. Enjoy when you get it, they do play nice. I think I will have to take this to the local music store & check out the neck carve, they have a used SL1 hanging on the wall.

Now I just need to get a Charvel Model 2, SoCal, or Jackson SDX with maple board.

Comment

Thank you. I thought I was getting a pretty good deal, which it kind of is, but I see you got a slighty better deal as yours was new. Enjoy when you get it, they do play nice. I think I will have to take this to the local music store & check out the neck carve, they have a used SL1 hanging on the wall.

Now I just need to get a Charvel Model 2, SoCal, or Jackson SDX with maple board.
            when these SLX's first came out i played the burnt cherry one at sam ash and was blown away by the neck feel. I was really impressed with the feel of it for a import so
            As long as they did not change that carve i will love my SLX when i get it. it definitely felt like the SL2H neck to me.

Comment

Played a burnt cherry too and liked it a lot.Lots of guitar for the money.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

is that fretboard dyed?
                Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by LaoWai View Post
                  is that fretboard dyed?
                  some see to be darker than others on these? I just ordered a SLX and the FB does not look that dark , i actually wish it did I may have to darken mine since i am going for a as close to possible to the SL2H
                  I m

Comment

Not sure if anyone else has upgraded the Floyd Special with an OFR on the X series. The OFR fits with no issues, the problem I had was with the nut. The OFR nut was a little taller than the Specials nut. This resulted in fretting the notes out of tune/pitch. Since I brought it in for the frets to be crowned & polished, the tech cut the nut shelf to compensate.

Action and intonation set, now this thing plays outstanding.

Comment

Not sure if anyone else has upgraded the Floyd Special with an OFR on the X series. The OFR fits with no issues, the problem I had was with the nut. The OFR nut was a little taller than the Specials nut. This resulted in fretting the notes out of tune/pitch. Since I brought it in for the frets to be crowned & polished, the tech cut the nut shelf to compensate.

Action and intonation set, now this thing plays outstanding.
                      all i did to mine was swap the trem block for a brass 32mm. i like the floyd specials and to me all they need is the block swap
                      I have a set of duncan 59's in my slx and it is one of my best players. really love it for the $300 i paid

Comment

I had seen that Musicians Friend had the Titanium saddles for a bit over $200 if you really wanted to go extreme on upgrading the Floyd. A lot less then Floyd Rose Upgrades saddles by $400 dollars I believe.
                        They have the Titanium Post and bushings also.
                        Nice axe by the way. Look forward to seeing the dyed fingerboard pics. Do you have to seal the wood before doing that?
                        An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
                        A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Wouldn't sealing the wood beforehand keep the dye from soaking into the wood? Seems to me if you were going to dye it you would want the dye actually in the wood instead of floating on top of it which it would be doing after being sealed. Also, wouldn't it wear less actually in the wood instead of on top of it?
                          In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Working...
                          X