Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cast your vote Tone zone or JB in new SLX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cast your vote Tone zone or JB in new SLX?

Just got my SLX and want to replace the DD102 for a tone zone or a JB?
    these are neck throughs and i am thinking the TZ may be too bassy for the basswood/rosewood combo?
    the SL2H's come with a TB-4JB stock
    but someone said a tone zone really kills in a soloist? i have a F-spaced TZ as well
    I play rock-metal and like good crunch,sustain,punch,harmonics and both the JB and TZ do all of those great
    so here are the choices
    JB/59 set
    TZ/PAF pro set
    JB/59
    54.55%
    TZ/PAF pro
    45.45%

TZ over JB any day. Though, I'd pair it up with either a Jazz or '59.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Tonezone
      Hail yesterday

Comment

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

JB's sound nice in Basswood bodies.
          We will know for the first time...
          If we are evil or divine...
          We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

I've got a JB and a Paf Pro in a DKMG with a super 5way for inner and outter singles, a PP in the neck position just sounds good to me.
            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Of your choices I would go TZ/PP. I had that combo in my departed RR1 and they worked nicely together. I was much more fond of the PP than the TZ though, which I thought was just an okay pickup. I didn't love it or hate it, it was just "serviceable". (Kind of like a JB, not in sound, just in the fact that I can make do with it.)

For bridge pickups I'm an unabashed Duncan Custom fanboy. Pair it with a Jazz for my favorite all time PU combo.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

PAF pro bridge and neck works great in basswood.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  Of your choices I would go TZ/PP. I had that combo in my departed RR1 and they worked nicely together. I was much more fond of the PP than the TZ though, which I thought was just an okay pickup. I didn't love it or hate it, it was just "serviceable". (Kind of like a JB, not in sound, just in the fact that I can make do with it.)

For bridge pickups I'm an unabashed Duncan Custom fanboy. Pair it with a Jazz for my favorite all time PU combo.
                  I also love the Duncan custom i have a zebra one with a zebra 59 neck and that would look/sound cool in a all black SLX right
                  I have read the duncan custom kills in basswood? so essentially i have three bridge pu's to use/try in this slx.

Comment

I abstain, they are equally as good as each other, different yes but I love both. My two main guitars have a TZ and a JB in them. I like the sparkling rounded organic tones of the JB and I also like the dry crunch of the TZ. I would suggest if well rounded and sparkling '80's overdriven valve amp solos are your thing put a JB in there. If you want some dry and crunchy riffage and a flatter, less dynamic solo sound put a TZ in there. They are kind of like Salt and Pepper and you need both really.

Probably you'll get more out of it using a TZ as a JB just might fall a bit flat, but maybe it might work really great as the Basswood body tones its high sparkle down a bit, although you might then also loose your riffage definition.

I suggest you buy both.

When you play the guitar, what does it tell you to do? What kind of music do you lean toward when you play the neck and hear it and look at it? Go with that, don't fight it.
                    Last edited by ginsambo; 11-24-2012, 12:39 PM.
                    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Never had a TZ but I'm not fond of the JB, so TZ it is. If it's too bassy, just cut the low eq back, simple.

Comment

**duplicate post - cannot delete**
                        Last edited by wilkinsi; 11-24-2012, 03:04 PM.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I voted JB/59 because that's what I have in my DK2T. I only have a pair of Invaders free for my SLX which has yet to arrive.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I replaced the JB for a Tone Zone in my DK2M and it really brought that guitar to life. Tone Zone all the way.
                            "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                            ENGL Powerball II
                            Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                            Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                            Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                            1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                            1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                            2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                            2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                            1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                            2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                            1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                            1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                            2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                            2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                            2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                            2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                            2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                            2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                            2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                            1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
                              I replaced the JB for a Tone Zone in my DK2M and it really brought that guitar to life. Tone Zone all the way.
                              I do know that in my ALDER Jacksons the TZ hands down has it in spades over a JB but now with the SLX i am dealing with a totally diff body wood that jackson uses normally.
                              Last time i heard a JB in basswood it actually did kick ass a lot more than it does in alder but that was in a old ibanez RG 550.

Comment

Working...
                              X