DKMG question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKMG question

I was looking at a couple of used DKMG's (as listed) in Guitar Center the other day and noticed some differences, so don't know what to think. They both had the reverse head with mini sharkies, emg's, licensed floyed, but one had three knobs and the other two. Anyone know if they are both DKMGs or is one something else? Did DKMG's come in two different configurations?

The one with three may have been an archtop, but I am just not remembering at this point.
    "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

The one with an extra knob might be the after burner one?

Comment

Yep, the 3 knob version is the older model that had EMG-HZ's w/the gain booster circuit.

Which reminds me... I still don't own a DKMG! So many axes, so little extra cash...

Comment

Yup, as mentioned, the DKMG(T) came in two configurations. The first came with EMG-HZ pickups with an Afterburner circuit (the 3 knob DKMG). The second (later) version came with active EMG 81/85 and no Afterburner (2 knob DKMG).

And they were all archtops.

Comment

Mine is a 3-knob DKMGT.
          I went with Unobtanium designer high gain pickups, and use the
          knobs for V-V-T.

The older ones had an afterburner as mentioned.

Great guitars for the price.

Comment

Both made in Japan?
            "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Think so

Comment

both made in japan.

Comment

Great guitars IMO buy both!!
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    Great guitars IMO buy both!!
                    - unfortunately my christmas tree ornaments do not look like money.

Thanks all.

Comment

Also...The The Older three knob bodies are alder, and the two knob versions are basswood.

Comment

Nope, both versions of the DKMG are alder. The DXMG started off as alder, later being made from basswood.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I have an older DKMG with the 3 knobs. When I got it someone had already removed the HZ's and Afterburner and replaced them with an 81/85 combo, yuck. It's not my favorite guitar because of the neck carve and I've never been an archtop lover, but it's still a great guitar. Oh and BTW it now has a JB in the bridge with a Paf Pro in the neck which sound great, the PP is coming out in favor of a Screamin Demon and the PP is going into the neck position of my model 2 that's getting a Jack Butler make over, minus the maple neck of course $$$$. Good luck.
                          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I could be mistaken

Comment

Yeah, the 06+ models with two knobs are Alder, at least mine is. Here is a pic sanded most of the way down to the wood.. can't really tell from the pic though.. but its Alder.. The end-grain is capped with what appeared to be 3/16" Alder, but it could have been something more pliable

They came stock with 81/85s...I swapped out the Floyd for a Floyd Special, which was a bit of a pain as the nut height was different. Anyway, she's a great guitar now. The action is nice, and the neck shape comfortable. I'm not a real big fan on archtops, however I don't seem to bump the volume which is cool. one dislike, higher fret access seems awkward, especially after playing a soloist... but its all good once you warm up to it

Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X