Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belated NGD, SL2Q! Also a locking nut question/issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belated NGD, SL2Q! Also a locking nut question/issue.

Hello all, it's been a while since I've spent time here. I just picked this up, and got a great deal on it.

Beautiful guitar, however, I have an issue with the locking nut. I swapped the pickups and changed string guages and was getting set up how I like it last night but I managed to strip the hole in the locking nut for securing the string lock for the lowest string. Never had that happen before, and I'm sure I didn't overtighten it.

I tried to use a spare R3 OFR nut I had lying around, but it's too tall (and didn't match the hardware anyway). I'm thinking maybe the floyd special nut is the right height? In my experience finding locking nuts that fit is kind of a pain.

These have the FRT-02000 trem, but the locking nuts are not standard OFR ones. Does anyone know where I can get the correct replacement nut so I don't need to modify the shelf? I sent an email to Jackson, but I don't expect a response anytime soon.

Comment

Take the nut into an old-time Main Street type hardware store. The guy behind the counter can go tap and die on it for ya for 5 or ten bucks restoring those threads. Saving the one you have obviates the need for a new nut and its attendant reshelf issues. Just an idea. Good luck.
      Mitch
      AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Thats pretty killer looking! Just wish they would paint the necks or at least make a better transition. Is the body binding natural masked?
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
          Thats pretty killer looking! Just wish they would paint the necks or at least make a better transition. Is the body binding natural masked?
          Actually, the transition looks a lot more sudden than it feels. You can't really tell when your hand moves up the neck. Yes, the body binding is indeed natural masked.

I wouldn't let the nut thing scare other people off of these, it seems like kind of a fluke. The other two holes are threaded just fine and it isn't out of the question that I screwed it up. Overall, the build quality seems excellent.

Comment

That's one great looking axe you've got there. How does she play, if you've had much playing time with having the nut issue? Hope it gets fixed soon.
            I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Confuse-a-Cat View Post
              That's one great looking axe you've got there. How does she play, if you've had much playing time with having the nut issue? Hope it gets fixed soon.
              I haven't had much time to play it since I spent most of last night installing the new pickups (Duncan Full Shreds) and trying to sort out the nut issue. However, I did play it for a few minutes right when I came back from the store and it played very well.

Since it isn't an original floyd nut (doesn't say made in germany on it) I have a feeling I'm just going to have order a couple different nuts to find one that's the right height. Unless someone knows. I don't much feel like sanding down the shelf to accomodate an OFR nut. Plus, the black nickel hardware makes replacement parts harder to find.

Interestingly the original nut says it's an R2 which contradicts the Jackson website (says it's an R3). I'm wondering if a Floyd special nut would fit, just to get me by. Maybe I can go to a hardware store and find slightly longer allen screws that will bypass the few stripped threads at the top of the hole...

Comment

I had the same problem on one of my RR24M's, but luckily it was only the screw itself that stripped out, not the nut. The Korean nuts just dont seem to hold up as well as the German ones do. I have to say though, that from your pics Im really impressed with the guitar overall, especially for being Indonesian.
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Success! A trip to Lowes revealed that they carried exactly one bolt like the string clamp bolts. It's about 2mm longer and therefore is able to catch the thread. It's not a permanent fix, but it'll work until a new nut comes in! On with the setup!

Comment

pretty...d.m.
                    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

That's one sweet looking axe! Jackson have really stepped up their game when you consider this guitar's predecessor, the SL3 Pro series Soloist. Is that a single-piece quilt top or is it bookmatched? The brushed aluminium backplates are a nice touch.
                      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Update: Everything is well set-up now and I swapped in a set of Duncan Full Shreds. Slightly modified with a ceramic magnet in the bridge pickup .

The neck is way thinner than anything else I've seen on a Jackson. Maybe the combination of the speed neck profile, with the unfinished back has something to do with it. The string spacing also feels different. Interesting that the Jackson website says this has an R3 nut, but the bottom of it clearly says R2.

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                          That's one sweet looking axe! Jackson have really stepped up their game when you consider this guitar's predecessor, the SL3 Pro series Soloist. Is that a single-piece quilt top or is it bookmatched? The brushed aluminium backplates are a nice touch.
                          Yeah, I was not expecting aluminum cavity covers!

The top is a single piece veneer I believe.

Comment

Its got body binding too! I never noticed that before. I still think the available colours are too limited. BCSB or UVB would be nice.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                              Its got body binding too! I never noticed that before.
                              Technically, it's not binding. The edges were just taped off and not painted over, giving it a binding look.

It is a really beautiful guitar! Congrats, groverj3!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X