Flat sawn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
    Plug your guitar into your amp and knock on the body with your knuckle. If you can't hear anything through your amp then you're right. Every aspect of a guitar plays a role in its tone, even the paint.
    Actually, you would have to remove the remove the strings and trem springs before knocking, otherwise the pickups are transmitting the sound from the metal vibrating.
    Any vibration from the body is going to make the strings vibrate slightly. If you want to test the wood you have to remove the strings from the equation.

Technically, the pickup should not be able to "pickup" the vibrations of any non metal item. But, we all know technically can be full of shit.
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
      Actually, you would have to remove the remove the strings and trem springs before knocking, otherwise the pickups are transmitting the sound from the metal vibrating.
      Any vibration from the body is going to make the strings vibrate slightly. If you want to test the wood you have to remove the strings from the equation.

Technically, the pickup should not be able to "pickup" the vibrations of any non metal item. But, we all know technically can be full of shit.
      I will try that next time i'm restringing, my hypothesis is that i'll still be able to hear something. I encourage everyone on this forum to do the same.
      I had written in another thread a while back that it would be really interesting to test the impulse response of different types of tone woods - essentially when you knock on the guitar you're doing exactly the same thing in a more primitive manner - and see how the impulse response relates to things like tone and sustain. Anyone care to fund my research project?
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Working...
      X