Need help identifying guitar model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying guitar model

This guitar was given to me as a gift around 1996. I'm curious as to what model it is and where it was made?

Last edited by jds8535; 09-19-2023, 07:32 PM.

Looks like a ps2, but ,its not, could be a mutt or fake?
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Judging by the 12th fret dot markers its a Made in Japan model.I see it has the small electronics cavity but top mounted trem plate.
      The tuners look like the ones on the low end Korean ones from the late 90's.
      How about a clear shot of the neck plate.
      Last edited by straycat; 06-03-2013, 11:20 AM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

yea stray the covers and no binding on the neck throws me off?
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Looks like one of those Musicians Friend budget runs.

The control layout and junk hardware were used a lot for these runs.
          -Rick

Comment

Trem = JT500 guys?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Trem = JT500 guys?
              Nope... the JT-500 had the short string lock screws like the JT-590.
              This looks like an aftermarket replacement or a non-lp version of the 580. They were using them around 1995 time frame.
              I don't see a logo on the trem and the trem studs look like they have a blade adjustment instead of an Allen head, so I'm going with aftermarket trem.
              -Rick

Comment

Remove the neck. The model will be stamped in the pocket.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Looks like a PS-2 withe volume knob relocated. Everything looks right except the tuners. What do they matter with a lock nut though?
                  It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                    Looks like a PS-2 withe volume knob relocated. Everything looks right except the tuners. What do they matter with a lock nut though?
                    No performer on face of head stock?

Comment

OK Straycat, I posted a new pic. It doesn't have the usual Made in Japan or Made in USA on it?
                      Last edited by jds8535; 09-19-2023, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Newc, is that the case of all the imports from Japan, Korea, and India?

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                          Looks like one of those Musicians Friend budget runs.

The control layout and junk hardware were used a lot for these runs.
                          That's what I'm thinking. I had a Dinky Reverse body that had the control layout like that, and it was from a MF exclusive model.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jds8535 View Post
                            Newc, is that the case of all the imports from Japan, Korea, and India?
                            In my experience, yes, all imports have the model stamped in the pocket. It may also be stamped on the heel of the neck, but there have been cases where those two didn't match up (i.e.e RR3 neck on a KV3).
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thank you all for your input. If it helps, my parents bought it at the ASM Music School I briefly attended in Miami, Fl. It cost them around $1100 and it came with a hard shell case, small Crate amp, music stand, strap, and cable.
                              Last edited by jds8535; 09-15-2023, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X