What on earth did I buy this time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What on earth did I buy this time?

I think it's a 1998 japan dinky. But I'm not sure at all. What type of dinky will it be?

As seen, it has a reversed headstock and the color seems to be metallic green. It's beautiful in full sunlight.
    Serial = 9734351 and it has a 'made in japan' sticker on the lower neck.

It has 3 rotary knobs. One for volume, one for town, and 1 that I can pull out (and also rotary) and then suddenly the demons come out of my guitar. No idea what the last one does.
    It also has a three way switch. It has 24 frets with piranha inlays (seems to be mother of pearl).

What on earth did I buy? I fell in love the moment I saw it and just bought it instantly. Is it any good at all? Plays wonderfully though.

it should be a DKMG although not sure

Comment

So for 150 euro / $200 that was a pretty good deal?

Comment

The model is DKMG. Someone will give you a correct age on it eventually, but it's newer than 1998 I believe. The specs would make it more around 2002-2004ish. I have a trans red DKMGT (string through body) from around the same period. According to the catalog scans the earliest models were basswood bodies, but that did change to alder. The Jackson catalogs aren't exactly know for being mistake free so it's passible the were all alder.

The pot engages the EMG Afterburner boost circuit. It's a 20dB clean boost. http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/323/142/4

Eventually they pickups in these changed to regular EMG's and they lost the boost circuit, which helps identify yours as an earlier model. I think this change took place around 2005, but it could be later too. I took the stock HZ's out of mine and put in Duncan's and kept the EMG boost.

This is before I changed the pickups...

I bought it on a whim because the neck had a nice flame to it and I'm a sucker for flamed maple...

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Wow, your neck is beautiful. The color also is really cool. More pretty then mine . This one isn't flamed like that. Thanks for the replies so far!

Comment

Nice DKMG. I've got a 2011 DKMGT without the boost and love it. The best bet on the year would be 2004-2005. If you wanted to be certain you could always try the dreaded " remove the neck and check the pocket stamp." Took me a while to get the nerve up to do it.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

yup as others said. a dkmg. the afterburner is actually a gain boost, not a clean boost like the pa-2 if im not mistaken.

edit- i am mistaken lol. they can be a clean boost at low setting and increase gain at higher settings.
              Last edited by jdr94; 07-20-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I think the only real difference between the two is the afterburner can be dialed up to twenty dB but the pa2 is just zero or twenty.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

well the pa2 has a trim pot so it can me zero/any set number but yeah the ab can be adjusted on the fly while the pa2 would be on/off

Comment

Yes, this one has a trim pot so I can adjust the boost. It's a pretty awesome actually. No need to buy new pedals for now, I got rid of all my gear 2-3 years ago. Saw this baby on a website and couldnt resist.

I feel a fool for selling all my stuff now. Skills are rusty but I missed playing sooooo much.

Comment

thats a nice guitar. yours has the afterburner with the push pull knob. sorry i threw it all off track talkin bout the pa2. i miss my old dkmg.

Comment

Just to avoid any confusion that may come up, Jackson actually calls it the Afterburner a "Turbocharger". But is IS the same thing. Nice guitar!
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                        X