Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What model(s) am I looking for? Rhoads V's....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What model(s) am I looking for? Rhoads V's....

Hi all,

A friend has asked to help him find a Rhoads style V shaped guitar, with an OFR or licensed Floyd (I don't mind the JT-580LP), with EMG active humbuckers. What model RR's would I be looking for? Not really interested in JS series stuff, probably more Japanese, as USA made guitars are out of his price range.

Would like to know, so I can hunt around local (Australian) second-hand sites.

Thanks in advance!
    A Charvel CX592, Jackson JS20 and a Jackson DK2, amongst others....

What's your budget?
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

It's hard to specify a budget. The prices here in Australia aren't particularly friendly, even in the used market. I was hoping to get some model names to search for, and see what the local prices are like. It may be that we get an RR with a Floyd, and install the prefered pickups later, which I can do myself.

Comment

I'd say try that new RRMG, or even try to get a hold of an old RR24/M. Both have EMGs stock an come with a Floyd.
        I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
        ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
        Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
        Blackstar Soloist HT60
        Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
        Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

I can vouch for the RR3 & putting EMGs in, love mine. Even after shipping, ebay is much cheaper than around here in Oz.

Comment

Without EMG's - Japan- RR5fr (neck-thru), RR3 (bolt-on), RX10 (bolt-on)

With EMG's - India? - RRXMG ( Current model, new X series ).....neck-thru, Floyd, EMG
            Last edited by Grawnday; 11-23-2013, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
              I can vouch for the RR3 & putting EMGs in, love mine. Even after shipping, ebay is much cheaper than around here in Oz.
              I'm thinking this may be the way to go, even buying parts and making a mutt with the bits we want in it. I've done that before!

Thanks, guys! I'll pass on this info, and see where we go from there.

Comment

I have 2 RRXMGs and a RR1 and those made in India RRs are more comfortable to play, they are little bit lighter and they have easier upper fret access too because the neck joint is bulkier on RR1. RRXMG´s neck is also thinner than on my 2008 RR1. RRMG (made in Indonesia?) may be a good choice too. I guess a RR3 may be good guitar, but a Rhoads should be a neck-thru, I think.
                My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

I must admit I am a little worried about getting another "Made In India" guitar. My Indian-made JS20 has issues - the trem studs pulled themselves out of the body just with string tension, and the neck.... well, I couldn't keep the thing in tune, and so as and experiment, I bolted on another neck, and the tuning stability increased dramatically. I tried adjusting the truss rod, installed a graph-tech nut, and nothing helped. I know am judging all Indian made guitars by this one guitar, but I am just going by my own experiences.

Made in Indonesia doesn't bother me, though. I have a 1996 Squier strat from Indonesia, and it plays very well, and stays in tune. Again, judging only by one guitar!

I'm not too stressed about neck-through or bolt-on. If I have to get one from overseas, bolt-on may be a better option if I can get it sent with the neck off to reduce postage costs.

Comment

RR3's are great guitars, nothing wrong with them. As you have already pointed out you'll save a bundle on shipping. Just throw a set of EMGs in it, it'll everything you want.

Comment

I would recommend the RR24 with the ebony fretboard, especially the white one with black bezels and matching headstock. Excellent playing and looking guitar! Can be found used at very reasonable price too for the quality of it, that is if someone will let theirs go, I made that mistake and regret it alot.
                      I like black and white guitars

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
                        RR3's are great guitars, nothing wrong with them. As you have already pointed out you'll save a bundle on shipping. Just throw a set of EMGs in it, it'll everything you want.
                        +1 on the RR3. I've got one and it's a fine guitar. Build quality
                        is excellent. Mines got the inferior 'designed by' Duncans, which aren't
                        all that bad, but it's an easy job to upgrade. Fit and finish is excellent.
                        If a bolt-on neck isn't an issue for ya, give one a try...

Comment

Originally posted by walshula View Post
                          I would recommend the RR24 with the ebony fretboard, especially the white one with black bezels
                          I think you mean BEVELS. Bezels are another name for the rings that hold the pickups on the body.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here's one I came across on EBAY that is in pretty good shape with a really nice price. You're looking at $2700.00 bucks roughly if you get this model new.http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-JACKSON...item3a87ee16b7
                            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                              Here's one I came across on EBAY that is in pretty good shape with a really nice price. You're looking at $2700.00 bucks roughly if you get this model new.http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-JACKSON...item3a87ee16b7
                              Thanks for the link, but that one is a little over the budget, and the seller won't ship to Australia....

The budget is probably gonna be around the $600 mark. I think we may be looking for a while!

Comment

Working...
                              X