DK2M back from the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M back from the shop

I bought a white DK2M in "as is" condition on Yahoo Auction.

When it arrived, the frets were chewed up and the setup was horrible. The neck had a huge amount of relief and the bridge was raised so high that the action at the 12th fret was easily 4mm. I tightened up the truss rod and lowered the bridge, but was getting string buzz on the 1st and 2nd strings at the lower frets. Investigating in greater detail, I found that the fingerboard inlays at the 3rd, 5th, and 7th fret were lifting up just enough to interfere with the strings.

So I brought the guitar to my local guy, asked him to reglue the inlays properly into the fretboard, to refret the guitar with stainless steel jumbo frets and to change the 3 way blade to a 5 way blade. He called me yesterday morning to tell me that the work was done, so I went and picked it up.

I had forgotten to ask him to take the tone control out, so I got my soldering iron out, disconnected the tone pot, and grounded the output jack after I got home. After putting the kids to bed, I got out a 36cm by 50cm (14in by 20in) red cutting sticker, an Exacto knife, and a sharpie. After an hour of tracing, cutting, and sticker-ing, my formerly plain Jane DK2M looked like this:

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by QuantumRider; 01-13-2014, 07:24 AM. Reason: erroneously wrote "plane Jane" instead of "plain Jane"...
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Ace I seriuosly thought you had this painted, Great Job!
    According To The Prophecy

Comment

Chuk, I discussed a refin to this graphic with my local guy, but he is an anti establishment liberal pansy, and I could tell that he wasn't thrilled about doing it during the discussion. Therefore I improvised and made do with what I had

If you look REAL close, there are some bubbles under the sticker in certain spots, but they are indiscernible from a foot away. Good enough for drunk amateur work, I say.

Looking forward to seeing your Charvel Star!
      Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Sweet!! Very nice

Comment

pretty nice
          GEAR:
          #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
          #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
          #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
          #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
          #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
          AMPS:
          1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
          ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

You stole my idea sort of. I have a white body. I need to get off my ass and finish it.

Comment

Well done, A! Love how it turned out.

Comment

That's awesome bro! Super cool! I thought it was paint as well.
                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Sweet
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks all.

I was waffling between what I actually did and something like this:

I ultimately decided on the offset sun, as it is the current Japanese Naval Ensign. The Army flag only has 8 rays as opposed to 16, and although it would have been less work, I like the 16 thin rays better than 8 thick ones.
                    Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                    That's awesome bro! Super cool! I thought it was paint as well.
                    I roughly traced the red sticker around the guitar, took the bridge and volume knob off, then put the whole sticker on the face of the guitar. I then drew the design with the sharpie, and cut away the white parts of the flag with the Exacto knife in order to expose the finish. I probably cut into the clearcoat in some spots, but for now they are hidden by the edges of the sticker.

Like I wrote above in response to Drake S, it is an amateur job and won't stand up to close scrutiny. But if I figure that if I'm playing a gig, the audience will be separated from me by at least the depth of the monitors at the front edge of the stage, and that's far enough for the design to look good

Comment

It takes balls to put an exacto knife anywhere near that guitar in my opinion.
                      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Well I figured that I spent the money to have it refretted, I might as well keep it forever, so I wasn't going to worry about resale value decreasing due to some fine blems in the clearcoat.

Plus, my son was born on December 7. If he becomes a guitarist later on (he's 2 now), I will give it to him as a "Tora Tora Tora" guitar

As an aside, I gave my 5 year old daughter a Hello Kitty Squier Stratocaster for her fourth birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
                          Well I figured that I spent the money to have it refretted, I might as well keep it forever, so I wasn't going to worry about resale value decreasing due to some fine blems in the clearcoat.

Plus, my son was born on December 7. If he becomes a guitarist later on (he's 2 now), I will give it to him as a "Tora Tora Tora" guitar

As an aside, I gave my 5 year old daughter a Hello Kitty Squier Stratocaster for her fourth birthday.
                          That would be a sweet ass gift. My older brother was born on December 7th too!

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
                            Wow. My oldest son's birthday is also December 7, except he just turned 15.

Nice work, also.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                              That would be a sweet ass gift. My older brother was born on December 7th too!
                              Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                              Wow. My oldest son's birthday is also December 7, except he just turned 15.

Nice work, also.

A day that will live in infamy!

Comment

Working...
                              X