considering a new guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• considering a new guitar

Looking to trade one of my guitars for a rr5. I have a 95 Professional Soloist XL and a guy wants to trade me a rr5 ivory and $200. Any opinions? Good deal or bad deal as far as value vs value, wood vs wood etc. Some help would be nice. Also is the rr5 a high end import jackson?
    You cannot kill the metal! The metal will live on!

The RR5 is the top of the line MIJ neck through at the time as far as Rhoads go. Do you want a different body shape or just looking to get something else?
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Not really it just seems like a good deal and im kind of getting burnt out on the floyd. Whats the value on the rr5 vs mine.
      You cannot kill the metal! The metal will live on!

Comment

I would personally keep the Soloist XL mainly because those are from the old school Professional series. But thats just my 2 cents. RR5 is a nice guitar though.
        Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

You can block the floyd with a tremsetter or something similar. Its reversible too
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

If the RR5 feels right in your hands and is in good condition the $200 extra cash would make it an easy choice for me. I prefer hassle-free, non-trem guitars. Both guitars sold in the ballpark of $1000 new.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

It's just me, but I'd keep the Soloist and save up for something else. I'd almost bet money you'll regret getting rid of it in the future. As Sups said, you can block the FR and eliminate most of the "hassle". Although IMO the deal would be a good one, hold off for a while and put a lil back each week til you can afford an RR5. In the end you'll be much happier.
              In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

The 95 XL was not from "the good old days", it was from the time they scaled them back. Still a great SL, but not on par with the 90-94 models with ebony and mop.

IMO, the RR5 would be a lesser axe, however, as there was a harder push to further separate the import line. However, it's Japan-made (should be?) so it's still a quality guitar. I just disagree with rosewood on a Rhoads for any reason, including SD Students.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  The 95 XL was not from "the good old days", it was from the time they scaled them back. Still a great SL, but not on par with the 90-94 models with ebony and mop.

IMO, the RR5 would be a lesser axe, however, as there was a harder push to further separate the import line. However, it's Japan-made (should be?) so it's still a quality guitar. I just disagree with rosewood on a Rhoads for any reason, including SD Students.
                  I agree that the XLs aren't apart of the "glory days" but I'd still say they are better than the more recent imports.
                  Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

Working...
                  X