SLS3 vs. SLSMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLS3 vs. SLSMG?

So, as far as I can tell, the only difference between an SLS3 and an SLSMG is that the SLS3 has Duncans and the SLSMG has EMGs. Is that right?

I think they're both MIJ with neck-through and string-through, mahogany neck/wings and an ebony fretboard. Is that right?

Anything else I should know? Basically those are the things I'm looking for, with the neck-through and string-through (or hardtail) as the most important things, but I love ebony fretboards and mahogany bodies, so that's an added bonus. Is there another model (including USA) I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Almost forgot...

Reasonable prices on both would be appreciated! Also considering solid colors and flame tops (I know I'm asking a lot)...

Comment

Very different guitars.
      SL3: HSS pups, rosewood with sharkfin inlays, non-archtop, alder
      SLSMG: HH pups, ebony with piranha inlays, archtop, mahogany

The headstocks are different and I don't recall an SL3 without a Floyd.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

They are same guitars sans pickups and the sls3 has different inlays. Choose if you want active or passives and run with it.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

They are same guitars sans pickups and the sls3 has different inlays. Choose if you want active or passives and run with it.
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
            Very different guitars.
            SL3: HSS pups, rosewood with sharkfin inlays, non-archtop, alder
            SLSMG: HH pups, ebony with piranha inlays, archtop, mahogany

The headstocks are different and I don't recall an SL3 without a Floyd.
            Mudlark,

Thanks for the info. I was asking about the SLS3, though, not the SL3. It would be a lot simpler if Jackson had better names!

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
              Thanks, 84sups.

There is also, of course, the SLSMG with the EMG-HZ to complicate the active vs. passive issue. I'd prefer the Duncans to the EMGs for sure, but if I can get an SLSMG, upgrade the pickups and still have it come in under an SLS3, then there's no difference, I guess. Except possibly an unused battery compartment.

Comment

Ooops. Forget everything I wrote.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Well I have an SLSMG I picked up last month and I absolutely love the thing. Personally, I prefer the piranha inlays to the block with the kinda eye thing the SLS3MG has. As 84sups said, they're basically the same guitar other than pickups and inlays. Also when looking at the SLSMGs, the only started getting real EMGs as of late 2006 I believe. Before that they were passives.

If they play anything like mine though, you'll be happy either way.

Comment

Well, I just bought an SLSMG (for a great price), so when it shows up I'll know for sure how much I like it!

I'll probably post a NGD soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X