Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Jackson Sl3

Whats up everyone?
    Question, is there a common problem with this model? Reason I ask is I got my first SL3 in 2005 , I was at Sam Ash, had no plans on buying a guitar that day and walked out with a Transparent red model. I was blown away by the way it played and sounded. We bonded in about 3 minutes. I had to have it.
    Months later I noticed a issue with the guitar. The Low E string would go sharpe at the 3rd fret. Another issue it has is when you tune it with a Tuner, the D G B E strings all sound like they are flat or maybe a 1/4 step down. When you tune the guitar with the 5th fret method ( 4th fret for the B String) and then check it with a tuner , they seem 1/4 sharpe. I don't get it so I took it in to get tuned up , gross rode etc, new strings a full tune up and I was told something wasn't quite right with the guitar and they offered me a new model. They had at the other store ( Cherry Hill NJ) a brand new Transparent Red 2006 model. So I went to Cherry Hill to play it. It was nice , the finish was slightly different then my 2005 , the Hardware was now black instead of Chrome , the bridge was a real Floyd Rose instead of a licensed model and it was just a tad darker sounding. I took the trade and went home.

Now mind you I didn't have this problem again right away. It came back a few years later. I have had the guitar setup a few times professionally and I have done it myself a few times. But the problem is back and I can't seem to dial it out. The intonation is off as if you play open E on the low string then at the 12th position , it goes sharp. This also holds true at the 24th position or fret. I tried to adjust the saddle on the Floyd to dial out the sharp but I could only get it close. I check the neck and it seems straight but I don't have the proper tools to check it. I get a ton of string buzz so I'm sure it's off a bit. I like low action and can't stand when it gets adjusted to high. It makes for uncomfortable playing. I prefer the stock action from the factory. It's one of the things I really like about Jackson Guitars.

So needless to say , I'm taking it in for service.

Side note , my tone Pod went bad and I replaced it with one from another music shop. It had the same 500k value but I really think it changed the over all tone of my guitar for the worse. It also isn't a liquid smooth like the factory Pod. I'm gonna have them change that was well with a higher end or factory replacement model.

Sounds like you might need a fret dressing to fix the intonation issue if everything else is fine. Level and crown job might fix that for you.

Replacing a tone pot with one of the same value shouldn't affect anything. How's your pickup height? Did they use the same value cap on the pot?

Comment

The Original Pot went bad a few years ago. I replaced it myself with another brand but still a 500k pot. I noticed a sound quality difference like something just wasn't quite right. Not to mention it didn't have that liquid smoothness to it like the original one did. I asked for a higher end Pot and the repair dude said the CTS are what high end Jacksons use from the factory and what he likes as they are rock solid quality.

I'd like to find another guitar repair guy one who can address my issues and make it play the way it's supposed to. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I have one of the older ones with chrome hardware and there's no issues with it whatsoever. Best guitar I've ever owned.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
        X