Active EMGs in an SLSMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active EMGs in an SLSMG

So, I just bought an SLSMG with the active EMGs.

I'm wondering about the pickups in there. I have a DKMG (with active EMGS, of course), and I find the pickups to be OK, but not nearly as nice sounding as the Duncans (JB/Jazz) in my DK2M, for example. I'm sure there will be some effects from the different neck/string configuration and neck/body/fretboard woods in the SLSMG compared to the DKMG, but I don't have huge hopes for it, and I'm already considering swapping the EMGs for something else. I just might end up with an SLS3 with piranha inlays and a vestigal battery compartment.

I'm just curious to hear people's comments on anything related to EMGs and SLSMGs or SLS3s. Maybe I should have waited until the guitar is in my sweaty little hands, but I guess this is my form of post-purchase, pre-arrival therapy.

Despite the nonsense you often hear on internet forums and elsewhere, EMG pickups can sound very different in different guitars. Yes, the EMG character shines through, but it's that way with any pickup, passives included. With that said, I'd just wait and see how it sounds with the EMGs.

Comment

Another thing: I've played guitars where 81B/85N works great. But I've also had a couple guitars where that combo just didn't work out. I switched to 85B/81N and it worked perfect. With the quick-connect wiring, it's easy to do that swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
        Another thing: I've played guitars where 81B/85N works great. But I've also had a couple guitars where that combo just didn't work out. I switched to 85B/81N and it worked perfect. With the quick-connect wiring, it's easy to do that swap.
        That's interesting. I read in a different thread about someone else (or maybe it was you?) doing the same thing.

So, for an ignorant question: do all the EMGs have quick-connect wiring, or have you installed something like a Seymour Duncan Liberator?

I know I could easily look this up myself, but obviously I did not take that leap...

Comment

I'm not sure of the exact year EMG switched to quick-connect wiring, but it's been a long time. I'd guess somewhere around 10 to 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
            I'm not sure of the exact year EMG switched to quick-connect wiring, but it's been a long time. I'd guess somewhere around 10 to 15 years ago.
            That's excellent. I'll go check out my DKMG when I get home and see if I can make the switch!

Comment

My 2006 DKMG had quick disconnects and they were actually in the guitar from the factory backwards. 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck. I looked on the net when I realized it and even saw some oem pics (MF, GC, Sweetwater, etc) that had them backwards in the pics with gold logo bridge and silver in the neck. Strange.
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                My 2006 DKMG had quick disconnects and they were actually in the guitar from the factory backwards. 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck. I looked on the net when I realized it and even saw some oem pics (MF, GC, Sweetwater, etc) that had them backwards in the pics with gold logo bridge and silver in the neck. Strange.
                It's not technically backwards. You can put any EMG in any position you want. I personally prefer the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  It's not technically backwards. You can put any EMG in any position you want. I personally prefer the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck.
                  True. I just meant backwards as the ads all said 81 bridge and 85 neck. And it's the "typical" setup people try (as suggested by EMG, ZW, and KK) before they hear us on these forums that they may like them swapped.. lol
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Try swapping the neck and bridge pickups around. The 85 sounds so much better in the bridge, if that isn't enough for you do the 18v mod.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                      True. I just meant backwards as the ads all said 81 bridge and 85 neck. And it's the "typical" setup people try (as suggested by EMG, ZW, and KK) before they hear us on these forums that they may like them swapped.. lol
                      LOL I hear ya. I got a Dinky Reverse off ebay in the early 2000s, and the seller said it had 81b/85n, but it turned out to have 85b/60n and I was pleasantly surprised and liked it better than my other Dinky Reverse with 81b/85n.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck too.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

+1 on the 85 at the bridge. The 85 at the neck sounds almost too bassy while the 81 at the bridge is kinda thin sounding so they have the qualities of what IMO the other position lacks.

Comment

Working...
                          X