Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about value of a 2006 Jackson SL3

Hello all,
    I have a sweet mint condition 2006 Jackson SL3 I'm gonna put up for sale. I'm curious what I should ask for it? Retail was $1549.99 new back in 2006.
    It was the year they put a real Floyd Rose system on it and black trim. I also have the original Jackson case for it.
    it's Transparent Red.

Any Ideas?

$600 is probably the MOST you'll be able to get out of it.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Retail is a suggestion but I'm sure no one actually paid that much for it new.Probably sold for $999.00 at the store.
      Nice MIJ guitar but Rob is about right.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Y'know, eBay is a great way to get this kind of information. Search them for this model and see what they're sold for, not what they're asking for them. I did, because I'm curious and found 11 SL3 that sold recently.

First, we have to toss out the one that sold for Best Offer because we don't know what it actually sold for. Averaging the remaining 10 gives us a sell price for $638.58.

Another way to look at it is to toss out extreme high and low ones ($1100 and $315) which gives an average sell price of $608.97.

So yeah, $600 is about price because if you really want to sell you need to be objective and not overvalue it because the person will buy it will not.

Comment

If I remember correctly , I paid $1200.00 for it new and it was on sale at Sam Ash Music. I really thought it would have held more value then $600.00. It might be more worth to just keep it as it is a pretty badass guitar.
          Reason I even want to sell it is well a few reasons.
          1) It has a Floyd Rose , Honestly other then loving the low action , I don't use it at all. The Whammy bar might have been on the guitar about 10 times or less.
          2) Alternate tunings , With a floating bridge , you have to completely reset up the guitar every time you want to change tunings. Like If I just want to Drop D, I have to set the guitar up for that. A hard tail you simply Tune down to D and away you go, seconds.
          3) The Desire to buy a Hard tail. I went to Sam Ash and played a 2013 Charvel San Damis HS HT and fell in love.
          4) It's a bit on the to warm side. This guitar has a neck through body and really has a dark and warm tone to it. For Shredding , it's crazy how badass it is but when you want to play clean , you really got to dial in your clean channel to not overly low end it. If you ever owned or played a real Les Paul , they tend to have this but not as dark.

I've owned it since new and just recently wanted a change in my tone as well. I'm kinda going back to the 80's tones. This guitar can pull it off but I really gotta dial out the mid's and low end. What the issue is with that is when I want to play another guitar , I gotta reset up my setup . It's not even close.

I want to thank you guys for chiming in. I guess if I do sell it for $600.00 someone is going to get one hell of a guitar. If you go play any new $600.00 guitar from anyone, your not going to touch the quality of this SL3. So that would make me happy to pass along an incredible instrument to another player who will love it as I did.

Dan

Comment

If you want a hard tail, block off the bridge with a couple of pieces of wood. If you want to just drop your low E to D then get a FU Tone Trem Stopper so the bridge will only dive.

As for comparing this guitar to a guitar that sells new for $600, you're not comparing apples to apples because one guitar would be used and the other would be new. Also don't loose sight of the fact that you have some level of attachment to this guitar and while that may make the guitar more valuable in your eyes it has no value for a potential buyer. The market will bear what the market will bear. You are of course entitled to ask whatever price you want for it because it comes down to how motivated you are to sell it.

Comment

Matt is right on the money.
              Another thing upgrades like pick ups and wiring mods don't add value to most buyers so its best to put back to stock when it comes time to sell.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

That is sweet. I saw your ad over at the SDUGF. I do agree with the guys here that $600 is about right.
                MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

+1 to blocking the trem for detune only, plus I'd add a D-Tuna. See now the Floyd would be an advantage for switching between E/drop D, not a disadvantage. I've got one strat set up like this and it's brilliant.

EDIT: Forgot about the NR trem thing, not sure if that works or not. Probably not.

Comment

I doubt I'd ever sell my SL3 because it's too good a guitar compared to the money I'd get for it.
                    Block the trem and keep it!
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Blocking the trem off is your best option. You'll be surprised how the tone will change and how resonant it'll become. You can change string gauge and detune all you want at that point. Also change out the JB in the bridge to a distortion or even just change the magnet out for a ceramic magnet and it'll sound so much better.
                      It's pronounced soops

Comment

She is in fully stock condition. I only changed out the Tone POT due to the fact the factory one went bad. Funny 2 as I don't even use it hardly never. it's CTS so it's factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          +1 to blocking the trem for detune only, plus I'd add a D-Tuna. See now the Floyd would be an advantage for switching between E/drop D, not a disadvantage. I've got one strat set up like this and it's brilliant.

EDIT: Forgot about the NR trem thing, not sure if that works or not. Probably not.

The D TUNA is a solid option but will it work in a Routed Floyd? Every guitar I have seen one on is a top mounted Floyd Rose like yours. I'd like to see the rest of your Jackson , kinda cool looking paint job you got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                            If you want a hard tail, block off the bridge with a couple of pieces of wood. If you want to just drop your low E to D then get a FU Tone Trem Stopper so the bridge will only dive.

As for comparing this guitar to a guitar that sells new for $600, you're not comparing apples to apples because one guitar would be used and the other would be new. Also don't loose sight of the fact that you have some level of attachment to this guitar and while that may make the guitar more valuable in your eyes it has no value for a potential buyer. The market will bear what the market will bear. You are of course entitled to ask whatever price you want for it because it comes down to how motivated you are to sell it.
                            Thanks , Im gonna keep it. I thought about it and selling it for $600.00 is not what I had in mind and it's worth more to me then that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
                              That is sweet. I saw your ad over at the SDUGF. I do agree with the guys here that $600 is about right.
                              I'm gonna close that, I asked to much for it according to the market and it's worth more to me then $600.00. Not to mention I have the Jackson case so it's staying here forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X