NGD: KVXT Burnt Cherry Burst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: KVXT Burnt Cherry Burst

I'd wanted one of these for a while, as a cheap fixed-bridge counterpart to my other King V's. Figured it might come in handy in the studio, as all the rest of them have trems. Almost bought one last year but then I found another used KV2, so got that instead.

But I picked this one up from GAK.co.uk for a lot less than they used to be, I think they must have a special on or something. When it arrived, the neck pickup didn't work. Took a peek in the control cavity and it all looked really neat (more so than my two USA made ones!) and nothing obviously wrong. Took the pickup itself out and the cable to the EMG HZ was on the wrong way round. How did that get through quality control? Oh well, easy fix.

Quality wise, it's not too bad at all. Very light and just doesn't feel like an expensive guitar when you pick it up, but for £299 what can you expect? It needed a setup too, the action was pretty high and the intonation was just all wrong. Like not even close. But once I had it restrung and setup, it played really well. The top looks great and aside from a few blemishes here and there (one looks like a pin-hole on the back) the finish is actually very impressive.

I got it last Wednesday and used it at a short gig on Saturday - it looked amazing on stage, that's for sure. Held it's tuning perfectly, sounded great through my rig - the soundman even commented on it. I kinda want a KV2 in the same finish now! Argh!!!

tl;dr - a lot of guitar for the money!

Cheers,
    Steve.

I find it amusing that anyone would wire a pickup backwards. Maybe the only form of "QC" is having the "Crafted in India with quality" stamp.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The EMG HZ's use the same kinda of clip-on connector as the active variety. It was on upside down. But no one could have plugged it in and tested the controls without realising that the neck pickup didn't work!

Still, you get what you pay for, I suppose...

Comment

I'm figuring on picking one of those up one day. Are you getting noise from the strings between the nut and tuners? What's the tape for?
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Yeah, that's it exactly. All my other guitars have locking nuts so I usually have a few picks jammed into the strings to prevent them from ringing out, but a bit of tape does the same thing. I can actually hear the string behind the bridge ringing out ever-so-slightly too but it doesn't look good having tape down there. For recording it'd be okay looks-wise, but not live
          Last edited by SteveFireland; 06-15-2014, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Looks fantastic. Jackson have really made a smart move in putting binding on the imports now, they looks so much classier.

I've never heard any ringing from the strings between the nut and the tuners, that's a new one to me.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
              I've never heard any ringing from the strings between the nut and the tuners, that's a new one to me.
              It usually happens on the low E string, especially when tuning down, but it's more common on guitars with reverse headstocks since the string is longer from tuner to nut. A lot of people will use foam or hair ties to mute the unwanted overtones.

And that is a very nice looking guitar. Congrats!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nice score. I've been gassing for a fixed bridge King V for a while now. Even more so since I got my first Jackson(an SLSMG) a few months ago considering how well it plays.

Comment

Nice guitar and great live band pics as well... If you were local I would check you guys out.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveFireland View Post
                    The EMG HZ's use the same kinda of clip-on connector as the active variety. It was on upside down. But no one could have plugged it in and tested the controls without realising that the neck pickup didn't work!

Still, you get what you pay for, I suppose...
                    You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Very smelly monkeys
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Once you hear the ringing out from the strings, you can never not have them taped up

That was actually a guest spot with my buddies, Conjuring Fate - one of those "wait all day for four minutes on stage" type things lol ... check out my own band at http://www.stormzone.tv if you're interested

Great guitar though, £299 really isn't a lot of money. I'm impressed!

Comment

Working...
                      X