Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impulse purchase...Most likely parts mutt. DK2M neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impulse purchase...Most likely parts mutt. DK2M neck?

I had nothing better to do today than to go around town. Stopped in a pawn shop, walked out with this for real cheap:

Late 2006 DK2M...but why did the previous owner put in JS series pickups? :think:
    Last edited by DesolationBlvd; 07-26-2014, 11:02 PM.

The neck alone makes it worth having, these are hard to find at a reasonable price or in good condition.

I couldn't tell you the exact year but the 97 doesn't mean it was made in 97, it's a standard MIJ number, 7 digits starting with 9, I'd have a stab at around 2008.

Comment

I'm far from an expert on trems, but that looks more like a JT580LP to me than a Takeuchi. The serial number indicates 2006ish, so it could be a DK2M body and neck which someone robbed the pickups out of for another project and replaced them with the Jacksons.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
        I'm far from an expert on trems, but that looks more like a JT580LP to me than a Takeuchi. The serial number indicates 2006ish, so it could be a DK2M body and neck which someone robbed the pickups out of for another project and replaced them with the Jacksons.
        Yeah, it's a JT580LP, the bolts don't stick out the back.

Actually plugging it in, the output is extremely low. No wonder it was going for so cheap ($150). I opened up the back panel to find that the solder joint from the pickups that should be attached to the back of the pot (according to diagrams I saw online) was not attached to anything. There was some electrical tape that seems like it was supposed to be for holding it against the pot. Holding the wires down, I get full output.

The pickups are going out anyway. I like the Duncan Distortion/Jazz combo in my Rhoads, but I don't want to duplicate it here.

Trying to figure out the story here...Maybe the previous owner had a JS series pointy, preferred the look of the pointy but the Duncan pickups stock on the DK2M, swapped them out, and then the pawn shop saw the Jackson pickups and thought it was a JS.
        Last edited by DesolationBlvd; 07-26-2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

If you remove the neck the model and year/month/day of production should be stamped on the neck heel and/or in the neck pocket.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Neck pocket says

10-1
            DK2M
            2006 10 06

while the neck heel says

11-1
            DK2M
            06.10.12 (on top of "DK2M", a bit hard to make out)

...so this probably isn't a parts mutt. I was amazed at how tight the neck pocket was. When removing the neck, I noticed that a short screw was down bottom and a long screw was up top. The short screws go where the body is thinner, right?

The pawn shop did not have any other such bargains. There was a Performer Rhoads, an RR3, and a Charvel Model 1B bass, all in the $400 range.

Comment

Great, my 2006 guesstimate was correct. Looks like a legit DK2M. It's not uncommon to see a different date on the neck than on the body.
              In regards to the screws, my guess is you're right about the location of the short vs long ones.

Comment

congrats! great grab! never see these in pawn shops around here.

Comment

Now the next step is to bring the pickups back to spec. I wanted to try something different, so I ordered the DiMarzio Classic Rock set, consisting of Super Distortion bridge and PAF neck. Only ran $35 more than just getting the JB/Jazz to restore it to stock on eBay. If I hate them, I can always put them into my Epiphone and get the JB/Jazz.

At this price in the end, if I fall out of love with it, I can always flip it locally.

Comment

Well takeuchis arent only 580s, there are takeuchi 580lps. Is that output plate chome? If so id guess js body and pickups, trem and neckplate from another dinky(prob japanese) then the obvious dk2m neck. Check the pocket for markings maybe?

Edit_dang musta scrolled too quick i didnt even see the posts about the pocket lol
                    Last edited by jdr94; 07-26-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X