DK2M SKL Coming Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M SKL Coming Together

I picked up a DK2 SKL body from Mark @ Mom's Music about a year ago & have aquired a few parts off & on since & have started putting them together..
    My Son bought a used P-Rail & a Triple Shot mounting ring & a set of used Robert Cray Fender single coils..
    I picked up a 500k CTS volume pot & a 62 Fender Jazz Basses CTS stacked tone pot that's both 250k/500k, The 250k for the single coils & 500k for the humbucker, that way the tone can be dialed in just right & have different caps for each , I had to rought the area for the pot thinner as it's designed for use on a plate, threads weren't long enough, I used my Dremel & a RotoZip & a piece of plexi glass to get this done.. I shielded the cavity with copper tape beforehand & just left that area wood afterwards.. I got a couple aftermarket black metal knobs & cut them to make my own concentric knobs, making the holes the right size & keeping everything flat & smooth, had to make a bushing for the upper knob = see pics.. Easier said than done, took a while..
    I blocked the trem with an old fixed bridge from the parts bin that needed just trimming to fit perfectly = see pic & a bridge saddle to adjust the stop' Hey you gotta find a way to use those old guitar parts..
    I pretty much have it now ready to solder up & get the neck mounted which should happen in the next week or so, I have a Fender Newporter Acoustic on the bench currently getting a bridge reglued
    Thanks to Sinster for the neck mounting plate, gasket & screws BTW!!
    Here's a few Pics of how the DK2 body looks so far..
    I'll post some pics of the neck on the very next post..
    Gary/WRC
    Last edited by WRC; 09-06-2017, 02:02 PM.

Here's a few shots of the neck & neck plates, I've got two?? One I got a while back from Sinster & the one that came with the neck, It looks like the chrome screws are correct so the chrome plate & screws will be used, The black screws are all the same length & too short, the trem is Chrome anyhow but the tuners & knobs are black.. Chrome plate is 9656279 & the Black one is 9773873.. IIRC 2005/2006??
    And Yeah my Wife bought that Bed Spread, She Loves it SO there you go..
    The neck is very mint, there's not even one dent or scratch on it YET even on the pointy tip..
    Very flat & straight that appears to have a compound radius?
    Will get a pic of the necks inked stamp marked it is marked 3-2 DK2M, The body is marked 9-1 DK2 SKL
    Gary/WRC
    Last edited by WRC; 09-06-2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

cool

Comment

Oh it is!!!

I'm polishing the frets currently on the DK2M neck with NEVR-DULL & Mothers..
        Frets 20 & 24 have some grooves/ridges from the action being low so I'll have to take a marker to them & a rust eraser & smooth em out some so they won't snag on bends way up there..

Scored some vintage shielded wire to finish up the wiring project & think I'm gonna use .047mf cap with the 250k pot for the single coils & .022mf cap for the 500k tone pot for the SD Humbucker/P-Rail.. I'm also gonna wire a .001mf cap to the volume pot as a treble bleed..

The fretboard polished up just great & the neck is now ready to install..
        Gonna get my solder station setup later & the rest is just several solder joints & tests after the neck is installed & strings on so I can see if the neck & bridge pickups are out of phase..
        Gary/WRC

Comment

DK2M Coming Together

I've been working a few other guitars & finally got the DK2M Pile O Skulls together..
          The only thing out of place is the chrome JT-580 that came with the body, All other hardware is black except for the neck screws..
          I still haven't got the wiring done but went ahead & did a set up & got the trem how I want, I used a old fender style hardtail bridge to make the plate beneath the screws that the single fender style bridge saddle is bolted too, I drilled a hole beneath the plate for the nut that is on the other end of the allen screw, I then found a screw & nut to fit the saddle for the trem stop & a small piece of velcro for the screw to rest upon that makes it quiet when returned to zero.. Just some parts in the stash.. I also have it rigged that the low E fine tuner can detune that string to D..

I still think the P-Rail is out of phase with the fender robert cray single coils with noiseless covers & haven't soldered the output jack in..
          I also haven't gotten my exact wiring diagram down, I have a stacked dual tone pot from a vintage fender bass that is 250k/500k & plan on putting a .022 mf cap for the single coils with the 250k & .047mf for the 500k & a .001 mf tone bleed circuit for the volume pot that I still need the resistor to make a duncan design treble bleed circuit.. I already used copper foil on the control cavity & got everything mounted up.. need to go to Radio Shack & get that resistor & get everything soldered up with the 5 way switch.. I'd also like to make it so the neck & bridge can be on together to make a tele type sound with the p-rail?? I could also just make one of the stacked pots be a volume for the neck so it can be added or blended like a bass???
          I really can't find an exact wiring diagram for what I plan to do yet???? Might even add a push/pull pot to the volume to be the control for the neck pickup??
          The guitar plays great & has no dead spots or buzz with the action very low..
          The neck is flat & has almost no relief but can add some if I wish via the truss rod... It's been strung up for several weeks & everything is very stable with the setup so far..

Jackson DK2M Pile-O-Skulls

Pictures seized by photo bucket or whomever those cunts are..
          Last edited by WRC; 09-06-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Always wanted one of those...

Comment

That's sick. I will never understand why Jackson didn't make a HSS or HS DK2M.

Comment

I haven't come around in a while just because of the imageshack/photobucket BS..
                Like I want to pay $400 for others to view my pics?? They should be paying me..

Thought I'd give it another try with yet another hosting service = TinyPics, Lets see how long this one lasts..

Here's a few other current finds = Ovation from the Pawn Shop, Gibson The Hawk from MGR that now has a P-Rail & Triple shot switching pickup ring & A Little Thunder pickup in the neck & a separate 2nd output for the bass amp output , And the 1979 Ibanez Artist that came from The Salvation army for $50 with case ready for resurrection.. 100% complete but was painted with black spray paint "ALL OVER" including fretboard, tuners, pickups EVERYTHING??
                Still need to get the wiring on the Jackson DK2M going on.. Plus Jason's Hondo II.. See Pic.. HaHa..

HONDO II

Comment

NOTE: Home Made trem stop made from an old tele style bridge & a strat style bridge saddle..
                  Works TOO GOOD!! Gary/WRC
                  Last edited by WRC; 09-06-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Maple neck with black sharkfins seem to go well with the pile o' skulls graphic since the skulls have a blonde hue that matches the maple. Very nice!

Do you have a closeup of your improvised tremolo stopper? You weren't kidding when you said you new image hosting website was TinyPic.

Comment

I don't but will get a closer view of the "Trem Stop".
                      I just rustled it up from some guitar scraps in my scrap bin..

Also note a double stack 250k/500k bass pot for tone, The 250k for the single coils & 500k for the humbucker that came from a Gibson, I originally had a P-Rail in there but it went into the Gibson hawk which gave it's pickup to the DK2M..

I have too many guitars to fix currently & need to get after it..

Piece Out!!
                      Gary/WRC

Comment

Working...
                      X