String Height on Jackson Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
    Same here. The knife edges go under significantly more stress with normal usage then they do when the posts are adjusted. All my experience is with German-made OFRs not imports.
    I've done it with German and import Floyd-types. Never a problem.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
      Yeah, that too. Perhaps they operate under the assumption that guitars come perfectly setup.
      Then the person that sent that e-mail or wrote up the information in the reply is lacking in real-world experience with guitars because there is no perfect universal set up.

Comment

Q-tips also tells you not to stick their products in your ears, but who the hell heeds that warning?

Comment

Does the Floyd have to be the same level on the treble and bass sides? I mean action wise on the posts? or can the Floyd be on a angle?

Comment

It can be on a slight angle if you want the bass side higher than the treble side.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

both mine are slightly lower on the treble side
              1959 Gibson ES175D natural/bigsby
              2012 Jackson Soloist SLX white Floyd Rose Special
              2012 Jackson RRXMG Matte Black Floyd Rose Special
              2010 Agile AL3000 Ebony

Comment

but is that to provide a different action preference, or is that to accommodate the difference in string thickness

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                  but is that to provide a different action preference, or is that to accommodate the difference in string thickness
                  Consider this with a standard set of 9s (low E = .042, high E = .009). Assuming the center point of both strings are at the same height the high E will be .0165 inches high from the frets then the low E or about 1/64. If the bottom of the low E is 4/64" from the 12th fret then setting the high E to be 3/64" from the 12th fret compensates for that difference in thickness. As for preference, most folks set the high E lower then the low E because they can (less likely to buzz) and/or because they want to (easier to play).

Comment

I usually shoot for 1 mm at the 12th fret on both sides. I play with a light touch though. In any case as long you can't hear it through the amp then buzz is fine. I used to detune the strings before making anything more than a half turn rotation to the bridge height screws but after realizing the absurdity of this I just adjust at full tension now. Been that way for 6 years or so and have yet to ruin a Floyd.
                    1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
                    2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
                    2008 Satin Black SL3
                    2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
                    2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

I usually shoot for 1 mm at the 12th fret on both sides. I play with a light touch though.
                      ya buddy, that is low low low. greasy fast low!!!!!

I MAYBE could get my 59 Gibson that low, because im light on the pic with that one, but not even sure of that.
                      pretty sure I couldn't have my jacksons or agile that low though..... maybe with some work???
                      2010 Agile AL3000 Ebony

Comment

I generally have to level the frets on all my guitars as soon as I get them whether they be brand new Gibsons or Jacksons to get them that low and playable. My SL1 is the only guitar I have ever owned among many USA Jacksons that could go lower than 1 mm consistently. Generally depending on the barometer it sits around .8 mm on both sides.

New guitars no matter the quality are generally the worst. All that new wood swelling and fighting on the fret board makes for some really uneven frets and higher action. I learned to level frets due to my OCD action requirements. Stainless steel really sucks though lol.
                        1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
                        2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
                        2008 Satin Black SL3
                        2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
                        2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

I learned to level frets due to my OCD action requirements.
                          lmao!!! I feel your pain man.

I was unbelievably spoiled by incredible guitars (1959 Gibson, a 1962 Gibson, 1963 Stratocaster) ,,, and then I had to start buying my own and it was like everything was crap.... it took me several guitars to realize just how spoiled I had been!!!)

luckily I got to keep the cream of that crop, in my opinion. my dads 59.

2010 Agile AL3000 Ebony

Comment

the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th guitars in my signature I keep between 1.5mm - 1.75mm
                            2010 Agile AL3000 Ebony

Comment

Working...
                            X