SL3 vs SL2 - much of a muchness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL3 vs SL2 - much of a muchness?

I really hate writing these threads, but was looking for a few thoughts on the following.

I'm weighing up a Soloist SL-3 (natural finish, rosewood board, HSS SDs, Floyd) against the current SL2. There's an SL-3 available at roughly the same cost as a new soloist and I'm wondering if it's worth it for a 2nd hand MIJ model (about £650).

Cosmetically the SL-3 is gorgeous, although it does miss the ebony board and binding... But is there really much in it?

People think the world of Japanese guitars. I guess it comes down to if you're ok with a used guitar, HSS, and some inferior specs. Are you sure it's a Floyd or is it a Jackson trem? If it's a Floyd, which one?

Personally I'm not a fan of used stuff, and I also prefer Ebony and 2 humbuckers and the SL2 is gorgeous in satin black or midnight blue.

Comment

I've not played either, but that seems awfully high for an sl3. I don't think they were much more than $1k new so I def wouldn't pay $1k for a used one.

I also can't attest to how much muchness either guitar has
      I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Are we talking about an SL2H or an SL2? The SL2 was a budget USA model with Armstrong pickups and import hardware... JT580LP trem.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If I were going to spend upwards of $1000, I'd definitely go with the SL2. The ebony board and new condition is gonna beat the rosewood and used condition for me. The SL3 could be as old as 15 years.

The early SL3's had a JT580LP trem, the later models a Korean made FRT02000.

I'm assuming an SL2 made in Indonesia?
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

100% agree

I don't care how nice someone thinks it is, you don't pay the same price for a used 3 and you do a new 2.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Are we talking about an SL2H or an SL2? The SL2 was a budget USA model with Armstrong pickups and import hardware... JT580LP trem.
              The other side of the equation is the current SL2 Pro Series (Midnight Blue, Burnt Sunburst, Duncan Distortion pups, etc.) The SL3 is the MIJ model with Korean Floyd (not the JT580).

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
              If I were going to spend upwards of $1000, I'd definitely go with the SL2. The ebony board and new condition is gonna beat the rosewood and used condition for me. The SL3 could be as old as 15 years.

The early SL3's had a JT580LP trem, the later models a Korean made FRT02000.

I'm assuming an SL2 made in Indonesia?
              Yeah - current MII series.

Looking at the replies so far it's confirming what I'd originally thought - the SL3 while nice is expensive for the age, and the SL2 does boast better specs.

Thanks folks!

Comment

Ah, I keep forgetting they have the new MII SL2 series. Jackson always likes to confuse people...
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have an SL3 and I love it, but I only paid £500 for it and it was basically brand new ("shop soiled" but there wasn't a single mark on it!)

£650 is too much.
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                    I have an SL3 and I love it, but I only paid £500 for it and it was basically brand new ("shop soiled" but there wasn't a single mark on it!)

£650 is too much.
                    Yeah, reckoned that it was a bit steep, just wanted to check that there wasn't any hidden mojo in the MIJ line in comparison to current stocks. Does give some bargaining room...

Comment

MIJ mojo disappeared around 95, after IMC realized that Grover trained them to make guitars too well, and were actually churning out guitars that were just as good, if not better than the USA models - but at a fraction of the cost.

Or, at least, that is some people's opinion.

Comment

I have the MII SL2 ‘pro’ in satin black, great guitar.
                        Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by LaoWai View Post
                          I have the MII SL2 ‘pro’ in satin black, great guitar.
                          Cool, good to know. Any more detailed impressions?

Comment

I did a bit of a review when I first bought it.
                            http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/139...lack?p=1576018

I needed to get new Floyd studs, the originals were (one) seized up causing the hex to strip out.
                            I thought it was cross threaded, but it was just a bit rusted : 0. New studs and a little CLP break-free, better than new.

So she’s almost a couple of years old now and gets played daily, and while she was little rough in the beginning, she’s an awesome shred machine.

cheers
                            Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the link to the detailed review. You've got a good eye for things. I also like to dissect the more expensive products I buy. Overall seems to be a solid, well-made and very-well designed guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X