NGD Black KEXMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD Black KEXMG

Took awhile to get this because the wrong model got sent but it was sure worth the wait. I've had it for a few weeks and I am really impressed with the X-Series. Same quality as my DKMG was, but I like the Kelly a lot more mostly because the shape is easier to play for me. The basswood is heavy enough that the guitar doesn't feel cheap but light enough that you can have it strapped on for hours without feeling tired. Overall, the guitar is finished really well. It looks amazing. Off-white binding and rosewood fretboard is on the darker side with the signature sharkies. The only flaws are a micro crack on the back edge of the headstock and there is a teeny section on the corner of the large horn that didn't get covered with black paint so you can see wood through the gloss, both of these are only noticeable ~30 cm away and are almost not worth noting. The FR Special is solid and holds tune well really happy with it, it only needs fine tuning adjustments once or twice a week. My only complaint is the trem arm is a little wobbly if it isn't screwed in tight but is a lot better than the JT580 LP which was always wobbly (don't know if it is better on OFR). I have light top heavy bottom D'addario strings on it so we will see how the zinc saddles hold up and I may change out the sustain block one day. Thanks to everyone who helped me with the decision on buying this amazing ax!

On with the pictures!

Neck-Thru

Custom insert I made for my explorer case. Just traced onto XPS foam, cut it out and covered with some camo fleece fabric I had. 4 separate pieces.
    Fits super snug really happy with how it turned out!

Last edited by gnarzan; 08-09-2015, 11:03 PM.
    2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
    Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
    Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
    Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Schwing, she’s a fox! Where was she born? Always heard KEXMG are MIC (which I’m ok with). The binding looks thicker than on my indo SL2.

BTY, I put an FR special on mY DMKG, I beat the crap out of it, and its still rock’n, maybe strategically placed Teflon tape will help

Glad to hear its JAP quality, my DKMG is one of my goto guitars.

Congrats!!!
    Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Thanks! Oh ya, Teflon tape totally forgot.

She is a 2014 from Indonesia.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Congrats. Looks great.

Comment

Sweet! I have the matte black KEXTMG, love it.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Nice MartinBarre! Great guitars.

I thought I'd add a note that I was surprised at how small the body was. Not a bad thing but I thought it would be bigger. I guess that's what nappens when you cut away parts of an explorer.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have been on the fence for awhile on the kexmg. Think I am gonna wait for a b-stock in silverburst although all the colors look good. How is the action and the emgs? That black looks sick!

Comment

Go for it especially if you love the kelly shape. I was on the fence between black and silverburst but I always wanted a black kelly. The action is great no complaints. Fretting is very easy and no buzzing. I could probably put it lower, it is about a dime high at the 12th fret. EMGs are good. I have only used EMGs though so can't compare to anything else, but they seam the same as in my DKMG. The pickups are the quick disconnect kind as well fyi. So switching to a 81,60 etc. is easy.

EDIT:
                I say go for it if you love the kelly shape because it is better than the JS kellys for sure but doesn't cost $3000 like a KE2.
                Last edited by gnarzan; 08-18-2015, 10:38 PM.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Working...
                X