Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a little clarification on MIJ Dinky SN..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little clarification on MIJ Dinky SN..

Hi all,

I just acquired a Jackson that I've ID'd as a DXMG, (has two EMG passive humbuckers but does not have the gain boost. Per wiki this would suggest it's a DXMG).

Now, my question is this: One other post on SNs for Jacksons states that if a specific guitar has just the Jackson logo on the headstock, has a 7 digit SN and it begins with 97 that means that it was MIJ and made in 1998.... Yet, I'm not 100% sure that the DXMG was MADE in 1998... And since 7-digit serials beginning with 97 don't show up on Fender/Jackson's ID page, I'm left to track down the info on my own.

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks in advance!
    Some of my Guitars:
    1) Late '80s Charvel HS neon nuclear yellow. H is a Seymour Duncan, the neck is stock. H/S
    2) 1990-1991 Les Paul Custom flame sunburst with ebony fretboard. Gibson stock pickups. H/H
    3) 1991-1992 G&L Legacy. Red. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. G&L stock pickups. S/S/S
    4) 2003 Jackson Soloist SL3 was trans red. WIP refinish.
    5) 2006 Jackson Dinky DXMG. Gray, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. OE EMG H/H

Plz be patient , one of our expert representatives will respond eventually Welcome to the forum.
    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

No problem! I figured I'd throw out the info and see if anyone has anything to say.

Thanks! Took me 20+ years to finally get a Jackson, and now I've got two, (and counting!) So, happy to find a community still into this sort of instrument...
      Some of my Guitars:
      1) Late '80s Charvel HS neon nuclear yellow. H is a Seymour Duncan, the neck is stock. H/S
      2) 1990-1991 Les Paul Custom flame sunburst with ebony fretboard. Gibson stock pickups. H/H
      3) 1991-1992 G&L Legacy. Red. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. G&L stock pickups. S/S/S

Comment

Why don't you post the entire serial number here to help the guys who are experts.

Comment

FIRST, regarding wikipedia --- I just went in and edited the page to say that the DXMG was a high end limited edition guitar.
          Now your guitar is worth something because wiki said so.

As to the serial ----
          you are right but wrong.
          The digits started in '96 with 96 and went sequentially. That doesn't mean that a 97 serial was from 1997, it means that 9700000 came after 9699999.
          Jackson was in the 98's in 2010.

Comment

A 97 number has 2 meanings: 1997 and 2003ish-2007ish. Since there was no DXMG in 1997 it would be the latter.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I understand wiki isn't the be all for finding info. But the only entry under dinky that matches everything my guitar has and doesn't have is the dxmg. So I tenitivly I'd'd it as one. I'm here to get positive I'd.

I plan on posting photos and serial numbers but did not have it handy last night and won't be home until this evening. when I get home I will get photos and an and post that info.

As for the an date, I understood the post about the and going in order but there was one clause that claimed. A Jackson dinky mij with only Jackson on headstock and a 7 digit sn stating with 97 was made in 98.... This is why I was asking for clarification as I figured this one want that old....

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              FIRST, regarding wikipedia --- I just went in and edited the page to say that the DXMG was a high end limited edition guitar.
              Now your guitar is worth something because wiki said so.

As to the serial ----
              you are right but wrong.
              The digits started in '96 with 96 and went sequentially. That doesn't mean that a 97 serial was from 1997, it means that 9700000 came after 9699999.
              Jackson was in the 98's in 2010.
              Some of my Guitars:

Comment

Originally posted by Weatherby View Post
                A Jackson dinky mij with only Jackson on headstock and a 7 digit sn stating with 97 was made in 98....
                Not sure why anyone would say that, but it's incorrect. Those particular numbers are date-coded: 97='97 and 98='98. That format was only used during 1996-98 and not all models used that format.
                ...though, import serials have many examples that don't 'follow the rules'.

O
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Not sure why either but here's the thread I was referring to:

Line in question:

*If you have a bolt-on Jackson that only says "Jackson" on the head, and the serial number starts with 96, 97, or 98, it was made in Japan in 1998.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/511...ckson-you-have
                  Some of my Guitars:

Comment

Post #34 of that thread corrects that statement by saying '96, 97, 98 with 6 digits was made before 2000.

Comment

Working...
                    X