Clear All

• Trouble identifying my guitar

Hey ! I'm havin trouble identifying my guitar
    Here some pictures :

All I know is :
    24 frets serial
    from Japan
    Dave Mustaine pick ups

It's most likely a DK2 but i can't figure it out...
    I'd assume someone would know here

Assuming it's an arch top, it's a DKMG. Should be a 2011 model going by the serial. My DKMGT serial is 9853??? and it's date stamped June 2011 in the neck pocket.
    They originally came with EMG 81/85's.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

What's the difference between DKMG and DKMGT ?
      I've heard original pick ups on DKMGs suck
      I need to know what this guitar worth (moneywise)

Comment

**FUNNY. I just noticed that someone installed a string retainer. I had asked the gang if I should install one on my DKMG, and the overwhelming opinion was HELL NO. **

Tremolo/non-tremolo is what the T means.
        The T stands for TUNE O MATIC.

The original pickups did not 'suck'. They were just over hyped to the wrong crowd.
        They were passive pickups and had a 3 knob system. The 3rd knob gave a boost.
        Which is great when you are playing light rock, blues, country --- things of that nature.
        But the metalheads, which are the majority of Jackson users, do not benefit from the boost because they are already dime'd in the gain department.

WORTH?
        I buy/sell them all the time in the $200 range. But you can find them as high as $700. And as low as $50.
        The best thing to do is --- figure the price that you just bought it for last week, assume that you overpaid by $50, and that is the price.

Comment

I think "original" is getting misused here.. lol. The original (pre-2006) DKMG pickups were passive EMG HZ's and there were 3 knobs, one being the active Turbocharger (Afterburner). The 2006 and later (original to your guitar, Hisato) are active EMG 81/85 with only 2 knobs.

BTW - the DM Livewires pickups in your guitar are basically a boosted JB/Jazz. Always wanted to try those..
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Yeah, you are correct, HIS original pickups were Active EMG's.
            I'm assuming he went online and read a couple snippets, which most likely meant he was talking about the EMG-hz models.

Comment

Originally posted by Hisato View Post
              I need to know what this guitar worth (moneywise)
              I wouldn't sell mine for less than $3000 'cause it's a fuckin' fantastic guitar.

They sold new in 2011 for between $8-900, and that included a Jackson molded case. Depending on your location you can pick those up quite regularly for $300 or so.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                **FUNNY. I just noticed that someone installed a string retainer. I had asked the gang if I should install one on my DKMG, and the overwhelming opinion was HELL NO. **

Tremolo/non-tremolo is what the T means.
                The T stands for TUNE O MATIC.

The original pickups did not 'suck'. They were just over hyped to the wrong crowd.
                They were passive pickups and had a 3 knob system. The 3rd knob gave a boost.
                Which is great when you are playing light rock, blues, country --- things of that nature.
                But the metalheads, which are the majority of Jackson users, do not benefit from the boost because they are already dime'd in the gain department.

WORTH?
                I buy/sell them all the time in the $200 range. But you can find them as high as $700. And as low as $50.
                The best thing to do is --- figure the price that you just bought it for last week, assume that you overpaid by $50, and that is the price.
                Actually it's to sell it, I bought a baritone because this one was a pain in the ass to get correctly tuned (drop A etc...) and I'm having a hard time finding the exact model to know what price to sell it ^^
                Last edited by Hisato; 08-13-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Well, the exact model is a 2011ish DKMG in trans black.
                  *with a string retainer added by a previous owner*

Comment

Working...
                  X