NUGD: 90's Japanese goodness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NUGD: 90's Japanese goodness

It's been what seems like forever since I bought a guitar but this time, it was once the love of another, not a new axe.

I hadn't ever thought about getting one of these but I saw this going on the Oz ebay sight for a while with no bites. Once my tax cheque came in, I went for it. Not something very common in these parts, especially in the condition this sexy bitch is in. Has some dodgy paint going on, ripples & creases, straight from the factory, but overall it's in quite an immaculate state. Best of all, it wasn't Australian prices.

Plays real nice but needs a bit more adjustments to be bang on. Pick ups sound fantastic. Reuniting my love affair with 90's Jacksons.......F**K YEAH!!!!

And the mandatory updated JC group shots

Love it!

Comment

Great guitar. Love the group shot. Life is
      good for ya!

Comment

Congrats. Fantastic collection.

Comment

Love the PS-2, have one just like it, but it's not Japanese.
          Wide dots on the Peformer series mean it's Korean.

Love the collection. The AS strat is awesome.
          -Rick

Comment

I thought they were Korean but the sticker has been removed. Was researching & found info stating 95-98 from Japan. The serial # suggested otherwise. My experience with 90's Jacksons is very limited.

Comment

The Performer series were originally MIJ, but around 1997 they started making them in Korea.
              The Korean Performer's have a lot in common with the early JS series.
              Same electronics route and control layout.
              I like them both however I noticed the MIK models have much thicker necks than the MIJ version.

Korean PS2:
              110202462421-3.jpg

Japanese PS2:
              nelps9u5uh60fqx7bx74.jpg

Korean Performers also have this route.

-Rick

Comment

My understanding is they were Korean first.
                Pianoguyy has/had a MIJ Performer date stamped 2000 or 2001 if I'm not mistaken.
                Plus, another member recalls getting a new Korean Performer for graduation in 1996.
                All the serials I've seen point to Japan being the later models, also.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Main way I remember to tell the MIJ and MIK apart are the 12/24 fret dots. Wider apart on the MIK.

(edited to avoid confusion..)
                  Last edited by warlok; 08-20-2015, 12:41 PM.
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Actually, Warlock, MIJ dots are closer together than MIK.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                      My understanding is they were Korean first.
                      Pianoguyy has/had a MIJ Performer date stamped 2000 or 2001 if I'm not mistaken.
                      Plus, another member recalls getting a new Korean Performer for graduation in 1996.
                      All the serials I've seen point to Japan being the later models, also.
                      The Performers came out of the Concept series in 1995.
                      It is possible that a 1996 Performer was Korean. I never new the exact year of the switch, but they were originally MIJ like the Concept guitars.
                      Both of my PS-4 were MIJ and they were from 1996. Fantastic guitars for the money too. Still kicking myself for selling them.
                      The PS-2 I have now is from 1998 and it is MIK.
                      -Rick

Comment

Hmmm....

Comment

Yeah I was under the impression the Performers were just re-badged Concepts, which were MIJ.
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

It seems odd to me that they'd move a Korean model up to Japanese production, typically it's been the other way around. Since the Grover Jackson line seems to have had free reign to create new models for the Asian markets, I'm wondering if the Performers were GJ models that were converted to export models like the Performers. I've seen quite a few GJs that were identically spec'd to the Performers.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, quality issues was my understanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X