NGD - KV Pro Mustaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - KV Pro Mustaine

So, I snagged this off Evil-bay 2 weeks ago, and it arrived yesterday. I`m not sure if the seller frequents this forum although I am sure i probably bid against fellow members here.

Little back story before I get onto the pics.
    I`ve been after a KV1 for forever but always been outbid or someones backdoored it before auction end. The last one I saw on Evil-bay a month or two back got backdoored too Anyway, a little whilst ago I scored a CHEAP japanese KV2 and considered making my own KV1 bolt on clone. I messaged GMW and got a quote for the work, replacing the fretboard with ebony and sharkies, body fills and re-routes etc and was quoted ~$1200 minus the cost of a new kahler fixed bridge. I`m sure some of you are WTF`ing at my idea of spending that on a lowly KV2 but for me it was seriously worth considering to get the guitar I`d wanted. Pretty much growing up Mustaines KV, Freidmans Kelly and Spitz`s Turtles RR where the guitars I most wanted, they where making the music I most loved. Now I`ve always had one major issue with the KV1, those damn fugly tuners! For me they`re a real turn off and so not what I saw on record sleeves, magazines or at shows growing up so converting the KV2 had the advantage of not having them (I`d be loathe to change them). So I`m browsing Evil-bay and find this KV Pro Mustaine, and it has everything I was going to do to the KV2. This is a must have at any price! As it was it ran about the $1200 I would have looked to have spent on the KV2 minus the trem, so yup, I probably overpaid (£780) but it was worth it and tbh it feels lke a bargain.

Onto the guitar itself, for a 20 year old guitar its in pretty good shape, couple of dings to the horns where its been stood up without a stand as expected but not to the headstock (big win). Plenty of life in the frets, the fretwire seems kinda small, not sure they`re jumbos but they feel real comfy. The neck feels super thin and flat at the back, definately a different shape to my SL2H, I`d say it was more akin to my DK3 or PS3 in profile. When I saw the auction I was initially a little bothered by the colour, silver sparkle wouldnt have been my first choice if I`m honest, I always loved the Megadeth logo`d black KV but a refinish was a possibility and I wasnt about to let that put me off. Out of the box tho its not silver. The clearcoat has yellowed significantly, it now looks like a gold sparkle. Not a fan of gold in any shape or form, nor do i like `bling` but this looks stunning. I`m really loving the colour, its a very subtle gold and the flake size seems good. When you look at it it appears to have a texture like those fake plastic rocks you can buy, it looks 3d almost but is smooth, no texture at all. It`s in need of a good clean, theres ALOT of mojo on the fretboard from the previous owner and quite a bit of dust on it but nothing major, no rust or pitting.

Anyway so here they are.

mojo

The yellowing and golden colour is hard to capture in a photo, probably due to the lighting.

and finally with my SL2H

Overall, I LOVE it, it actually feels nicer than my SL2h and is pretty much perfect in every way. I`m one seriously happy bunny with this guitar and I know its gonna get a lot more play time than its yellow sibling, especially as I dont have to worry about dings and knocks

Sorry for anyone else that bid on that auction but I would have paid more if needs be, and if the seller is a member here a big shout out for a great service at auction end.

My next target is a white KE1 with kahler, hopefully one will turn up eventually

Looks fantastic mate, nice score!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Good score! I was checking this out on eBay.

Lovely looking Soloist too
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Congrats. I wish some, any Jackson came with a Kahler these days.

Comment

That.........is............so.............hawt, well done. I miss seeing Dave slinging a Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
            Yeah, I've never even played a guitar with a Kahler, would love to try one.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Looks very clean and well cared for in the pics.

Congrats on the purchase. I have contemplated getting a V as well but I don't ever play outside the house so I don't know if a V would be comfortable enough to play seated like I often times do.

Comment

One of my first guitars, an old MIJ BC Rich NJ Mock came with a kahler flyer trem, personally I don`t mind a kahler, I`ve always found they had better tuning stability than a non USA Floyd tho that could be down to my setups. I like Floyds too lol.

CMH, i sit to play alot now, cross legged on a sofa or bed typically and you can`t do that with a KV. A rhoads, not a problem, but on the KV`s the bottom horn is too long and its elevated and balanced somewhat. Sat on a chair its fine tho, just rest the top horn over your leg and you`ll have no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                  Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                  Yeah, I've never even played a guitar with a Kahler, would love to try one.
                  Well, the Kahler on the Mustaine models won't do you any good for trem work... they're fixed bridges.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Schadenfreude View Post
                    Plenty of life in the frets, the fretwire seems kinda small, not sure they`re jumbos but they feel real comfy. The neck feels super thin and flat at the back, definately a different shape to my SL2H, I`d say it was more akin to my DK3 or PS3 in profile.
                    Congrats, that looks great! Mustaine has always used smaller frets (medium jumbo), and the neck back shape is the slightly thinner "speed neck" profile.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow, so jealous. I used to own a KV5FR but gradually got bored with having a V (alongside my ´90 Rhoads Pro), but if I ever do get another KV again it will definitely be a KV1!

Comment

If you're not a fan of the sparkle, the rarity of them makes them a candidate for an even trade of a black Mustaine Pro in similar condition. While the black is more desirable, it's also more common, and I've seen the silver typically sell for more than the black ones.

Just a little FYI if someone tries to hit you up for a trade + cash from you "deal" for a black one.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

nice score, I like the Floyds and Kahler tremolos, Kahler strings up faster.
                          \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Congrats. I missed out on one of those on the local CL here not that long ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X