Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Professional guitar ID

Hi there!

I recently picked up a Jackson Professional. I've read through the forums a bit to try and ID my guitar. I know it's made in Japan because it has a sticker on the back and as I've read all professional guitars that have that on the headstock were made in Japan. What confuses me is it has a 5 digit serial number (which probably wouldn't be on a USA guitar, right?), on a San Dimas neckplate that says made in USA. And the fretboard looks like it might be Ebony? The Floyd is a licensed Schaller made in Germany.

As far as I can tell this is a Dinky DK2 right? Maybe 1990?

Welcome. Looks like a Fusion Pro with a USA neck plate. Fusions are short-scale guitars... 24.75" scale.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah, now that I read about them, I gotta string it up and see if the Wah toggle in the middle still functions (though the consensus is people don't like the effect) Why would it have a USA neckplate? 5 digit serial number doesn't seem to make any sense on the serial number guides I've found on the forum.

Comment

I think It is a USA Fusion body, and plate with a professional neck.
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

If the plate number is 88xxx, it's not original to the body.
          There were a lot of plates from the 88 limited edition run that were never attached to any guitar.
          They got dumped on eBay by a former employee.
          -Rick

Comment

That looks exactly like my Fusion Standard. Most likely a MIJ professional body too, just look inside the neck pocket.
            Unless your not into that. How does it play? Hope you didn't pay too much for it. If it is a fusion PRO model neck, then
            the fretboard is ebony, the logo should also be MOP.
            Last edited by ps43203; 10-01-2015, 10:35 AM.

Comment

It's played pretty well, but the strings were really dirty (and the fretboard) so I took them off and cleaned the guitar up. Once I re-string it, I think it'll be great. Yes MOP logo, and the board does look like ebony. I might look in the neck pocket since that neckplate is so curious.

Comment

Ha was googling fusion USA pup configs and came across the first pic on this thread...

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/967...son-Fusion-Pro

yes, that's my guitar, and I completely forgot that it too has a 88 San Dimas plate on it. What the fuck? Could be a coincidence.... Was there a source of Pro parts floating around that someone built a bunch of Pros out of?

Comment

or maybe Jackson bolted on some of these surplus neckplates with the early Professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by thorovich View Post
                    or maybe Jackson bolted on some of these surplus neckplates with the early Professionals.
                    Never... those plates were made specifically for the 88 Limited guitars.
                    Like I said before, a former employee ( I believe it was Kevin Easton) dumped a stack of these on eBay along time ago.
                    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      Never... those plates were made specifically for the 88 Limited guitars.
                      Like I said before, a former employee ( I believe it was Kevin Easton) dumped a stack of these on eBay along time ago.
                      Which leaves us with the weird situation of either someone for whatever reason stripping off the original plates on both of these and replacing them with the 88's, which 15 years ago might have fooled some people into thinking they were USA guitars, or people building them out of leftover parts who happened to jump on whatever neck plate presented itself.

Mine doesn't have the original guts- only the middle pup is possibly original, trem is a lo pro, I believe Jackson branded, so could have been parts from the beginning rather than a replacement for a 590.

A mystery that will like never be solved. Heck, maybe just a coincidence, but it's a weird one.

Comment

Yep, but everything else on the guitar I picked up is definitely original. It's really weird to have two of these guitars with these neckplates, if a third surfaces I'd say that's more evidence that Jackson may have grabbed whatever neckplate was in the bin (even if they were for the '88 limited editions). They certainly wouldn't be the first manufacturer to try and use up old material.

Comment

I'm with Don...never happened.
                          Using up surplus USA plates on USA models, sure, but crossing USA and imports? Can't even imagine it.

If there were plates being sold on ebay it doesn't surprise me some of them are showing up on Jacksons. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them ended up on imports.
                          Last edited by Mudlark; 10-03-2015, 01:23 AM.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

strung it up tonight, and wow...it sings. original wah electronics still work too (after removing a 12 year old battery.)

Comment

Originally posted by thorovich View Post
                              strung it up tonight, and wow...it sings. original wah electronics still work too (after removing a 12 year old battery.)
                              They kick ass and are my favorite Jacksons overall. The monster claw one in that thread is just the tip of the iceberg .

glad you're enjoying it- they are terrific guitars.

Comment

Working...
                              X