Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help identifying this Kelly!

Hello everyone!

This is my first post in this forum and its actually a request for help. I got this Kelly some time ago and up to now I have not been able to decipher which model this particular one is. Says Professional in the headstock and its supposedly made of Poplar and doesnt have a neck plate. Anyways, Im quite happy with this one and actually swapped the pickups for some emg 81´s and a gotoh trem.

Pics!!

Don't know if i'm mistaken -Jackson Kelly - JAPAN 1991-1992 - Professional - hope this helps!

Atum

Comment

I reckon the OP has already figured that much out

Comment

That's an early KE3, probably late '95-'97. To my knowledge, Kellys with that serial number format were all from the mid '90s. It's a different format than J0xxxxx meaning 1990.

The Jackson catalogue says poplar body with maple top on trans finishes.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Atum View Post
          Don't know if i'm mistaken -Jackson Kelly - JAPAN 1991-1992 - Professional - hope this helps!

Atum

Well yes, i already figured that out, but I´ve posted this girl all over the web and never got a solid answer. Some say its an old KE3, some a Kelly STD, and came here because here is where I was told I could find the Jackson experts.

Cheers!

Comment

KE3. A Standard would have dot inlays.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you check out the catalogues from '96-'98 you'll notice the '96-7's have black hardware and in '98 they changed to chrome.

Pretty sure they got a neck plate containing the serial during the hardware change around '98 also... but I may be corrected.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Well I checked the ´96 catalog, and the specs are those of a KE3. Unfortunately, since there is no headstock in the catalog for the KE3 I´ve no idea if the KE3 says Professional on it.

Comment

The Professional logo would've been on all KE3's up until around '98.

Comment

NEWS!

Checked the 96-97 catalogs and all the specs are those of a KE3, and in the 97 catalog one can see it says Professional. Only need to check that the neck doesnt have any plate and im ready!

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I'm pretty sure we already had that confirmed.

You'll notice the '97 catalogue pictures a trans blue KE3 with a matching blue headstock. As far as I know there was no matching headstocks.
                      It's just one of the many errors in the catalogues.
                      Last edited by Mudlark; 10-26-2015, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X