Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ4, J-90C and pickup swap question

Hi folks

Not been here in a while but I'm guessing this is the best place to ask for opinions and help in this matter.

I've got a JJ-4 (J100203) that I have had for yeeeaaarrrrsss, it's basically my main guitar that I have used in 90% of the gigs I have played and is my "go to" axe for anything that I do which is heavy, slow and requires me to rock out. I've been playing it recently in my new thing which sounds like Crowbar, sludgey stuff with a bit of progressive King Crimson and "Mastodon" and that sort of thing being thrown in as well. We're tuned to drop C (and how I hate dropped tunings!!!) and the amount of gain/distortion being used it considerable. This is course meant everything was noisey but not to the extent where if I bash my pick off the pickup that is currently on that it sounds like a door knocking OR if I thump the metal hardware someone has rung the door bell and you're hearing it in the kitchen. Short analysis, I think my pickups have finally decided to give up the game and go microphonic.

So, as far as I know this guitars body is made out of alder (I thought it was basswood) and now I am stumped because I don't know what pickups to stick in this beast and retain the sound it has.

* can anyone tell me what model the Duncan Designed PUs in this thing are and what "real" Duncan they are supposed to be based on?
    * does anyone think dropping this J-90C I have (I believe from a Charvel Model 1 or 2) is going to work?

I need the bridge pickup to be a monster and the neck pickup to be a nice smooth, creamy thing.

Thanks for any help folks.
Working...
X