No announcement yet.

Is This a Jackson DR3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the few extra bucks I'd get the complete unit with the arm. Seems there's always someone lookin' for one of those arms. Knife edges look fine to me, but I'm no expert on tremolos.
    Might be worth swapping the old trem with the newly acquired trem to compare feel, performance etc. You may prefer the new over the original.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

its the bolts and string holders I really want off it. Going to order it now.

Comment

Does anyone know the truss rod nut size? I am looking for wrench, I was told it was 7mm Hex box wrench. I just wanted to ask in the forums since I am sure people here know way more about Jackson stuff then a music store would. I just don't want to order the wrong size by mistake.

Comment

It is 7mm indeed.
          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Thank jacksonaxes. much appreciated. I am getting it from philaluthiertools on ebay. Heres a link to the wrench http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111235360379?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

Garbage? What the hell is wrong with people? Nice find and glad it is in good hands.

Comment

Bit late but you mentioned Boydent, I get most of my parts through him, it always turns up looking better than in his pics. Straight up dude, great to deal with.

Comment

Yes, he is a straight up dude and great to deal with. I just got the jt580lp tremolo today in the mail, and it looks mint. I needed some parts for the jt580lp that came on the guitar, it was missing a block and the screw that screws into the block to hold the string in. It was a better idea to buy the whole trem for $30 then one saddle for $28 bucks. This way I will have spare parts. Not sure what to do now, just replace the parts needed on the old bridge or just install the new one. I want to keep it as original as I can I mean one screw and a block is no big deal. Just wondering what other people would do.

Comment

Spend $20 and slap a pop-in arm in that Floyd to avoid the "slop" sometimes found in the regular arm nut!
                    www.vvforums.com

Comment

Change the whole bridge, it's still a JT580LP

Comment

You don't think it would make a difference in keeping it original since it's the same bridge? I know most people don't care I am just fussy with stuff like that, I know its the same bridge, just not the one it originally came with. Is there a difference in quality between the pre fender era MIJ jacksons and todays MIJ fender/Jackson hardware that they put on the guitars?

Comment

As far as the JT goes, no. The last MIJ Jacksons were the Elite series, can't remember if it was 2012 or 13. I think they had Floyd Specials on them.

Comment

ok, is that what you would have done if you were in my situation, just replace the whole trem? The guy I bought it from off ebay said he thinks it was off a DK2.

Comment

Yep, I already have done several times. Many models share parts so it won't matter, only thing is you know it's swapped but if the original has issues & you replace with same, what's it matter? Nothing lasts forever.

The way I see it is we're custodians of these instruments and it's our duty to keep them going as best we can. The DR3 isn't a high priced rarity if you're worried about hurting it's value, if anything you are helping it.

Comment

Originally posted by SylentCommando View Post
                                You don't think it would make a difference in keeping it original since it's the same bridge?

I don't think being original has any bearing on the cheaper mass produced units.

And, as others have mentioned, a 580lp is a 580lp, whether it is the original one or not (although some will make mention of the differences in manufacturer).
                                Think about cars. You are not going to find an all original 1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. But, you can find them with all original parts - because the owner found an original radio for sale and installed it --- which is far different than installing a cd/mp3/xm radio.

No one cares that a Ford Pinto is all original. In fact, they usually prefer that it isn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X