NGD Mex DK2MHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD Mex DK2MHT

Well, I seem to have a thing for Jacksons and maple. After getting hooked on them with my first Japanese DK2M, I ended up getting another one used on ebay. I’d quite fancied the Mexican line since it came out, but I managed to resist until now.

There's quite a few of these around still at UK stores, even though I think it was dropped from the lineup this year - it probably has something to do with the way they were priced on this side of the pond when they came out. For some reason, the metallic paint really pushed the price up to the same sort of level as the trans-finished Floyd models, and I suspect that put a lot of people off. But since the stores still have them around they've been dropping their prices. This particular one came from Rich Tone in Sheffield, who had reduced it a fair amount and then slapped another 25% discount on it on Black Friday, which brought it down to the £400 mark where I couldn’t say no. I’m only just getting around to posting the NGD because it took a while to actually get my hands on the delivery.

I'm sure I don't need to go into much detail here, you all know what it's about! I have been very impressed though; it's the first time I've had my hands on one of the Mexican models. I liked the look of them, but I wasn't quite sure what to think until I knew how well they stacked up against the Japanese ones. Of course I still can't speak for the whole range but this one at least holds up very well when compared with my two Japanese models. Not entirely sure about the 3-bolt neck - it feels solid enough but for all its nice shaping it's still pretty chunky and my hand runs into it just as much as it does with the old 4-bolt neck plate. Not complaining though! Fretwork, fit and finish are generally very good, it sounds chunky and aggressive and I like the extra options on the 5-way switch when compared to the 3-way on the Japanese ones.

And the paintjob makes me think that I should be playing in a hair metal band.

Team Maple:

Now I just need to see if I can resist keeping the theme going.
    I like maple fretboards. :P

Congratulations. Never noticed before that they changed the electronics cover shape.
    Are the knobs/bridge some kind of black-nickel colour?
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

That's pretty fecking sweet!
      They've changed the neck too, I see - you won't be swapping one of those necks onto another import Jackson the way we've been doing for years.

It's quite a different beast altogether to the old DK2Ms eh? Is it as good?
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hell yeah, congrats. This is the one I want too, there's just not enough purple guitars.

Comment

Very cool! I especially love the zebra pickups.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks guys

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
            Congratulations. Never noticed before that they changed the electronics cover shape.
            Are the knobs/bridge some kind of black-nickel colour?
            I didn't spot the cover shape either until you pointed it out. Bit of an odd shape really. I've not had it off yet to see how well it's arranged inside. And yeah, the hardware is black nickel. I really like it - more metallic than black and blacker than chrome!

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
            That's pretty fecking sweet!
            They've changed the neck too, I see - you won't be swapping one of those necks onto another import Jackson the way we've been doing for years.

It's quite a different beast altogether to the old DK2Ms eh? Is it as good?
            Yeah, it's a fair bit different. Part of me wants to be annoyed that it's harder to swap necks around (it's not just the new neck joint, but the matching headstocks as well), but then I've never swapped a neck or built a mutt so there's not much point in my getting annoyed over it.

Obviously with this being the hardtail model that's quite a change from what I'm used to with the older ones. And I'm surprised how much I've noticed the lack of pickup rings - I guess I didn't realise how much the trailing fingers of my picking hand were brushing against the things until they weren't there. Probably my favourite change is the oiled neck. The satin ones were fine, but the oiled neck just feels so nice.

On the whole I think this thing is as good as my Japanese pair - but I can't speak for the overall quality control of the Mexican models because this is the only one I've played. And of course they're a fair bit more expensive than the old ones were. I managed to pay the same for this as I did for my white one in '08 (£400), only because this one had been discounted - I presume because it must have been sitting in the store/warehouse since at least last year - and then got discounted again on Black Friday. Glad I spotted it.

I had hoped that this would put a stop to the guitar buying itch for a while, but it doesn't seem to have succeeded. I like this one enough that I want to have more. Drat.

Originally posted by Force View Post
            Hell yeah, congrats. This is the one I want too, there's just not enough purple guitars.
            Absolutely! I love the finish. Very 80's; makes you feel like you ought to be wearing spandex and using copious amount of hairspray.
            I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

What year? First two digits after MXJ is the year.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

sweet

Comment

Interesting to hear this as I do fancy picking up one of the Mex Dinky's just to see what they are like.

Can anyone compare one of these Mex Dinky's to a 92-95-era Professional DR?

Comment

Working...
                  X