No announcement yet.

EMG Pickups Good/Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is THE debate isn't it, when it comes to electric guitars. How much does each component contribute to the sound. One thing seems to be sure amp>>guitar. Now once we get to the guitar, things are not so clear as some people would like. How much do the kinds of strings, bridges, nuts, pickups, woods contribute? And unfortunately there are few experiments conducted. But it is true that if you test with high gain, woods and even pickups aren't going to matter all that much. Clean sounds on the other hand is a different thing.

Comment

The other thing to take into consideration is what you are actually doing to the sound once it leaves the guitar.
      If you are playing clean tones, for smooth jazz and adult contemporary, then pickups matter. But then you also need to take in guitar volume knobs into consideration -- treble bleed.
      If you are going none more black by turning your knobs to 11 because 10 just isn't enough --- then tone from pickups seems to matter less. You get more tone from the amp/fx then you do the pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
        I have a mahogany ltd 81 bridge 85 neck, a friend has the same set up in a mahogany jackson, they sound worlds apart. EMGs do have an obvious sound that's shared in any given situation but they never sound close to the same no matter what they're in.
        I hear ya.

I have the 81/85 set in two guitars Jackson Alder body/maple bolt on neck, Dean Mah body/ Mah set neck both strung with D'Addario 10-46 and played thru the same amp with same settings... Jackson sounds brighter compared to the Dean which has a noticeably heavier sound. Could be the bolt on vs set neck maybe?

I'm not a tone wood believer and new materials kill the tonewood debate for solid body electrics IMO , fiberglass, corrugated cardboard just to name a couple... if wood plays any part at all it's very, very, very small.
        \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
          I hear ya.

I have the 81/85 set in two guitars Jackson Alder body/maple bolt on neck, Dean Mah body/ Mah set neck both strung with D'Addario 10-46 and played thru the same amp with same settings... Jackson sounds brighter compared to the Dean which has a noticeably heavier sound. Could be the bolt on vs set neck maybe?

I'm not a tone wood believer and new materials kill the tonewood debate for solid body electrics IMO , fiberglass, corrugated cardboard just to name a couple... if wood plays any part at all it's very, very, very small.
          How does the weight of the Dean compare to the Jacksons. Those Korean mahogany/mahogany guitars can be quite heavy and I think that the mass/density of the wood there does factor in. The Koreans also do much heavier duty paint jobs than the Indian/Indonesian Jacksons. Not sure where yours are made.

Comment

I have 81/85 sets in mahogany and alder, the guitars sound different, enough for me to want to change the EQ settings on my amp.
            Not to change the subject, but I have another with blackouts, side by side, I like the blackouts better. YMMV
            Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
              How does the weight of the Dean compare to the Jacksons. Those Korean mahogany/mahogany guitars can be quite heavy and I think that the mass/density of the wood there does factor in. The Koreans also do much heavier duty paint jobs than the Indian/Indonesian Jacksons. Not sure where yours are made.
              this is true^
              Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Not really into these pickups.

Comment

My opinion:
                  I like actives more than passives. 81 in bridge sounds very flat and sterile to me, but they're great in neck. I love 85 in bridge.
                  But, if I'd choose, I'd go straight to a pair of Blackouts.

Comment

No more an EMG virgin! I installed a 85 in the cheapo LTD Alexi 200 I got in a trade and only tried it with my Mini Rectifier but so far so good I really like what I'm hearing!
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                    X