Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson J85 to Dimarzio Tone Zone Upgrade ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson J85 to Dimarzio Tone Zone Upgrade ?

Hi I decided to try a Dimarzio Tone Zone I had around installing it in my '94 Jackson Dinky Reverse which originally had a Jackson stock J85 (the one with the two blades). I left the other stock jackson pickup in the neck untouched ( a j80).
    Anyone who tryed both J85 and Tone Zone that could tell me if the Tone Zone is really an upgrade ? (not in terms of taste, which is personal, but in terms of cheap quality vs professional pickup). Is the j85 supposed to be a cheap quality and the Tone Zone a high quality one ?

By the way, I loved the look of my guitar with the j85 stock pickup that gave the guitar that particular look...Now with the Tone Zone it seems a normal "two humbucker" guitar.. One thing I noticed is that the j85 was way more mid scooped and trebly while the tone zone is more full of bass and mids.

The TZ definitely has more bass and low mids, a great pickup that many people use. Nothing wrong with the J85, just it's more scooped and trebly sounding, which some people also like.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes...what i'd like to know is if the j85 is considered a poor pickup or not.. Usually stock pickups are cheap and if you want a great guitar you change them to something like dimarzio or duncan. I know some jackson came with seymour duncan from factory, some others with duncan designed and other with jackson branded pickups like mine...

Comment

Some jackson of thae same era of mine (1994) came with the duncan designed pups from the factory. How do you compare the j85/j80 to the duncan designed pair ?

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
          Yes...what i'd like to know is if the j85 is considered a poor pickup or not.
          Do you like the sound of the pickup or not? If you don't then it's a poor pickup. If you do then it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
            Do you like the sound of the pickup or not? If you don't then it's a poor pickup. If you do then it's not.
            I want to be honest, I ended up reinstalling the original J85 mainly cause I found the look of the guitar way more interesting with it on. Di Marzio has a great tone too (different, more modern) but I don't know, even if it is an humbucker, the feeling on the strings was like I was playin' a single coil.. With the j85 I have a more class metal sound a la Dokken... and I have to say a more appropriate sound for a Jackson, to me

Comment

If the sound of the Tone Zone was like a single coil, then you wired it wrong.

Comment

I went from a j85 to a tone zone on my Jackson strat.
                Nothing wrong with the j85. It's a very well balanced pickup. Very crisp and natural.
                The tone zone felt a little hotter and has more of a bottom end.
                Both pickups are great.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  If the sound of the Tone Zone was like a single coil, then you wired it wrong.

Following Duncan's diagrams and color coding? It's been done before.

But then I didn't care for the TZ in my SoCals. Sounded a bit like a hot single to me, but was wired correctly.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    Following Duncan's diagrams and color coding? It's been done before.

But then I didn't care for the TZ in my SoCals. Sounded a bit like a hot single to me, but was wired correctly.
                    Yes exactly what was my impression. I wired it correctly.
                    I was referring to the feeling of the fingers on the fretboard while playing the instrument not to the sound that was leavin' the amp. The sound was of course of a humbucker but I was having that fenderish feeling with my left hand...I don't know how to explain it better...

Comment

I don't know, just sounds weird to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X