Dkmg/Dxmg Inlay Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dkmg/Dxmg Inlay Question

First post here. Ive never owned a jackson but ive always liked them, back in 06 i almost bought a dkmg but got an ibanez instead. So now im looking for a used dkmg but have a question about the inlays. Did the dkmg ever have sharkfin inlays? Also did the dxmg ever have the smaller piranha inlays? Reason why im asking is because i think im seeing dkmgs sold as dxmgs and vice versa. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

DKMGs only have piranha inlays, alder body. not sure about DXMG
    one possible way to tell them apart is DKMGs are archtops, I pretty sure DXMGs are not
    I have a DKMG
    Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

To my knowledge, the DX was always sharkfin, the DK always piranha. It's possible some owners are switching the necks, though. I have a DKMGT I've been considering swapping necks to a sharkfin neck.

Also, people often don't know the models so they mistakenly call them the wrong name.

The archtop and bevelled upper and lower horns of the DKMG are 2 ways to tell them from a DXMG.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by cpc View Post
        i think im seeing dkmgs sold as dxmgs and vice versa.
        THAT is absolutely the case in the majority of ads.
        Hell, that is the case for anything anymore. You actually have to know what you are buying by pictures because you can't trust anyone's words.

Even me. I am the original owner of a Jackson Strat, and I owned it for 25 years before I learned (from here) that it was not a Dinky. I knew a neck thru was a Soloist, and a bolt-on was a Dinky. I didn't know that there was a Strat. I am far from a dimwit teenage beginner or middle aged yard sale reseller. I've done guitars for 30+ years.

To answer the question, which will just confirm what others have said -
        The K had piranhas. The X had sharkfins.

However, there were special runs that could be anything. For example, Guitar Center had something that had all of the specs of a DKMG but with sharkfins (possibly reverse sharkfins, I don't remember).
        Its proper name was something like GC007. Since no one knows of this model, but specs line up with a known model, someone may sell it as the wrong thing.

Comment

Ahhh, yes. The Guitar Center 37th anniversary GC 37BC (Black Cherry).

Basically, a DKMG with a DK2 neck.

But, these had a cool pearl Jackson logo.

[IMG][/IMG]
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks for the answers everybody. I'll hopefully find one i can get for a steal soon. I plan on changing the pickups to some dimarzio's or duncan's & changing the sustain block to a brass one. Ive been craving a new metal guitar.

Comment

The older DK's had the HZ EMG's which might sell for cheaper, but then again, you could see the later one's real EMG's for more money since you are swapping the pickups. The DX always came with HZ EMGs.

You'll need to decide if you want the DK with the archtop or the DX with the flat top. Try to go to a GC and try both to see which you like the feel of better.

Comment

I have a few drinks in me but i just wanna say thank you once more. This is one of the few forums where people aren't (pardon my french) assholes about answering questions and are actually nice and share information without being dicks about it, judging by my little experience on this forum. I think im gonna be hanging out here a good amount. Also one of the reasons why i want a dkmg is because i want to try my hand at refinishing and i plan of doing a green stain on the dkmg i get, alder looks allot better than basswood for that. Again thanks to those who answered my question. You guys are kickass.

Comment

I have a few drinks in me but i just wanna say thank you once more. This is one of the few forums where people aren't (pardon my french) assholes about answering questions and are actually nice and share information without being dicks about it, judging by my little experience on this forum.
                  You came here on an off day.

But seriously... I'm actually kinda being serious. If someone acts "the wrong way" a number of people will come on and flame on. But as long as you're honest and genuine and all the old farts don't see some ulterior motive or crass attitude, we're generally nice. Until that's detected.

But yeah, welcome to the forum and good luck finding the guitar that you want! We ARE all Jackson fans here!
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for the answers everybody. I'll hopefully find one i can get for a steal soon. I plan on changing the pickups to some dimarzio's or duncan's & changing the sustain block to a brass one. Ive been craving a new metal guitar.

A used DKMG can be had in the $200 range. And that is not a steal, just average.

They have different pickup configs based on which year you get. You either get a 3-knob passive EMG pickups with turbo boost, or a 2-knob with active Emg pickups.

Comment

There's a DKMG on evilbay right now for $240...I'm tempted.
                      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Yep, got mine for $200ish, replaced the blade with a toggle, swapped out the Floyd(special), a little putty and paint. She’s a great player.
                        Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X