Dinky replacement neck ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky replacement neck ?

I have a MIM DK2MQ Pro Series Dinky in Chlorine Burst that I bought used a couple of years ago. I played it and looked it over before I bought it. The low E side of the fretboard had a little relief and the high e side was basically flat but it seemed to play with no issues. After a few days, I noticed the neck had a pretty decent twist in it (nut not parallel with the body or bridge). I took it to a Fender authorized luthier that tried to steam it back into shape again. It didn’t turn out perfect but was better than before.

After a recent string change and truss rod adjustment, it seems some of the twist is back again, which is surprising considering these necks are supposed to be dual graphite rod reinforced. I’m wondering if maybe one of the rods is broken.

Anyway, I don’t want to go through the same repair process again because I’m sure it’s not good for the neck and it didn’t solve the problem the first time. Also, the steam process caused the fret markers on the side of the neck to swell up.

I want to price a new replacement neck for a couple of reasons; the guitar has a matching quilted headstock and the Chlorine Burst color is still in production, as far as I know. The problem with going used is that the body is shaped and drilled for a three bolt neck, which I assume would be pretty rare in the used market. Also, I know Jackson changed from a truss rod adjustment at the nut to a thumbwheel at the butt of the neck but I think this new design will still bolt in to the existing body.

The previous owner that I bought the guitar from must have some type of toxic sweat because the neck is dingy and smells like a mix of BO and Axe body spray. The body is like new but the neck and frets look like they have thousands of hours on them.

I live near St. Louis. I checked Jackson’s website but it doesn’t list any repair locations or a link to any authorized retailer, not even the dreaded Guitar Centers nearby.

Can I get a neck directly from Jackson/FMIC or ? Any idea on what it would cost?

Thanks.

You can't get necks directly from FMIC that I know of, but Mighty Mite makes Fender authorized necks in a Jackson style....though, I don't know if they have an identical neck to your DK2.

If you purchased that guitar new, the twisted neck should almost certainly be covered under the warranty.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
    X