Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying 90's Japanese reverse Dinky? Original, just the neck or not at all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying 90's Japanese reverse Dinky? Original, just the neck or not at all?

Hi guys,

i need help identifying a guitar I am thinking of buying.
    I have uploaded the pics in this album

https://www.yogile.com/a8kdhgwr/41m/share/?vt=N9sf4kF

I honestly don't know what to make of this..

- The neck has the "Professional" logo and offset inlays.
    - The serial number appears to be 7-digits, starting with 97 as far as i can see.

This makes it a japanese Dinky reverse made in 97 so far, right?

BUT
    At the same time:
    - There are pickup rings (i don't think reverse dinkys ever came with those)
    - The body has a trans amber/ sunburst color - and as far as i know there was no dinky reverse in such color
    - The tremolo is stamped just "Jackson" - can't see any "Licensed under..." stamping
    - On the back of the headstock there is the allen key holder - was that ever stock with jacksons?

Those things would probably indicate to me that the body is of a newer non-jap import?

What do you think we have here? Could it indeed be a stock japanese dinky?
    How much do you think it is worth?
    Any help is greatly appreciated as I have to make a decision soon!

my '90 Fusion Pro has allen wrenches...
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

That's a parts guitar.
      The neck came from a 91-95 Jackson DR. It wasn't offered after 1995.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
        my '90 Fusion Pro has allen wrenches...
        Well, at least that's out of the way then

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          That's a parts guitar.
          The neck came from a 91-95 Jackson DR. It wasn't offered after 1995.
          Thanks for the info! That verifies my impressions as well. Any idea about the body?

Comment

Pull the neck off and look for the model number stamped in the pocket.
            -Rick

Comment

Pull the neck off and look for the model number stamped in the pocket.
              Yes, i suppose this is always an option if i can convince the seller
              Communication has been rather slow though, so i wouldn't count on it - this is why i am investigating as much as i can
              Forgot to say - it will be a "distant" transaction. If it was a jap jackson, i wouldn't mind buying it without playing it first (have had a few japs over the years) but now i am a bit skeptical. Especially if the body/hardware comes from an entry non-jap import model

Comment

Unfortunately that's the only way to truly clear it up.
                -Rick

Comment

Unfortunately that's the only way to truly clear it up.
                  I ll try to get him to unscrew the neck then - let's hope he is willing
                  Having never played a non-japanese jackson, if it is indeed non-jap import, how much do you think the playability would be affected? Seeing how the neck is jap, that is.. The pickups never bothered me as they are easy to change, so i guess it all comes down to wood quality and tremolo. My jacksons all had jt580lp and i was never too enthusiastic towards it (not too bad, not too good either) - are there worse incarnations of a licensed floyd from jackson after that?
                  Last edited by ACHIEVEPERFECTION; 02-18-2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Looks like a DX10(D) body. They came with Duncan Designed pups originally.

97xxxxx is a Japanese number, but it usually doesn't mean 1997. Most often, and it appears to be the case this time, it means 2003ish-2007ish.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                      Looks like a DX10(D) body. They came with Duncan Designed pups originally.

97xxxxx is a Japanese number, but it usually doesn't mean 1997. Most often, and it appears to be the case this time, it means 2003ish-2007ish.
                      Interesting observation!
                      So, could it be that the neck plate came with the body actually and not with the neck?
                      If that's the case and combined with the 7-digit numbering, i guess that means that this has a 91-95 dinky reverse japanese professional neck, with a japanese dx10(d) body/hardware and some jackson pickups. In that case, then it might be worth it i guess although it is a bit of a frankenstein :P

Now, the next thing is to find out if the body is basswood or alder. Is there any way to find that out from the serial number? The other solution: I vaguely remember my other japanese jacksons having a date stamp inside the neck pocket, is that right?

Comment

Yes, it's a Japanese Frankenstein.

The 2003 catalogue says alder.
                        Yes, as mentioned earlier, there should be date/model stamps in the neck pocket and possibly the neck heel.
                        Last edited by Mudlark; 02-19-2016, 02:38 AM.
                        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
                        X