New guy here, I have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here, I have a question

Hi all, hope all is well in the world of Jackson guitarist. I do have a MIM Charvel San Dimas, but sadly no Jackson, but I'm possibly about to change that. That is where my question comes in. I have a gentlemen wanting to trade me a 1995 Jackson soloist for my american strat. I will admit fully that I don't know much about Jackson guitars, I've played a few, but mostly lower end ones at guitar center. He says his is the top of the line from that year, but the truss rod cover says soloist XL, which from what I've read in the mid-tear model? This guitar has passive pickups, not covered, like strat pickups, but it has an ebony fingerboard, which if I understand right is only assigned to the pro models of that year. Can anyone help me shed some light, I will post the link to the reverb listing of the guitar in question, I just want to make sure I'm making a fair trade. Thanks in advance.

He wants a $999 for it and I'm not sure if it's worth that much. Here's what I saw and I'm gonna compare it to my 2006 Jackson Made in Japan SL3 which its better equipped.
    It has a Jackson Made Floyd Rose, Mine has a Real Floyd Rose.
    He has Jackson Pickups , Mine has Seymour Duncan Pickups real ones.
    Other then that it looks like a Soloist and it appears to be in good condition. Mine is mint and Mine would be sold with a Factory Jackson Soloist Case.

When Mine was new it retailed for $1599.99. I would try and get like $800- $900 for it and that would make me happy. I don't think I would let it go for anything less. It's like brand new and not one mark on it anywhere. It's been babied it's whole life , no gigs no Smoke it only left my house a few times and it lives in it's case when it's not being played. It always gets cleaned after each play and every string changed it gets a cleaning and conditioning of the fret board.

Depends on what american Strat your trading dude with I'm not exactly sure it's a good move or not. It really depends on what your guitar is worth and the condition it's in.
    This Jackson looks pretty good especially for it's age but I'm not sure I'd pay $999. Maybe $650-$700 because I would have to upgrade the Bridge and Pickups and most likely the Pots and switch.

Jacksons do not play like MIM Charvels. They are very different. The MIM Charvel is a wonderful Guitar I own 2 of them and they get played way more then my Jackson does. I actually play the Jackson on occasion as I feel bad it sits here with no play time on it. It really hasn't been played in a few years consistently ever since I got my 2013 MIM San Dimas.

You call man, I'm not trying to steer you away from it but if your guitar is worth $999 I wouldn't trade it for that Jackson. I would sell it and off dude what I said I feel it's worth no more.

Comment

Thank you for the input. My strat is a 2012 American Standard in sienna burst in mint condition. No marks, nicks, or swirls. Has the case, and all original stuff with it. So since I already have a "shredder" I'm not pressed to move it, just throwing it out around the local community to see what came up.

Comment

I would hold off. You said it yourself, not pressed to move it and you already have a shredder. If it was something you were specifically looking for then it would be a different story.

Sidebar: I strongly feel a CSI image enhancement has to be done on the reflection in the 2nd picture.
        2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
        Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
        Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
        Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Comment

$1k could get you a nice used USA.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Just to clarify.. That IS a Soloist XL, not a PRO. Rosewood board, not ebony. And I'd say that price/value is pretty insane. I've seen them sell as low as $250 and maybe as high as $600.
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Would I pay that much, no. Would others pay that much, yes. Could you find two USA Soloists for that much and have enough left over for a redneck stripper, yes. Or you could buy two-thirds of an import.
              There's no set standard.

But, as to the rest of your post...
              It is not ebony, it is rosewood.
              Active/passive - to each their own. Some prefer one or the other. Either way, they can be changed. A $10 pickup is going to sound like junk whether it is active or passive.
              Covered pickups - there are more non-covered Fenders than there are covered, so I am not sure why that needs mentioned. Covers actually deaden the sound. Being covered is more about looks than price. You can even buy covers separately.

And I don't pretend to know about Fender, but I do know that there is/was a lower quality USA Stratocaster - a 2nd tier instrument, better than the MIM but not quite the real deal. To me, if you are comparing apples to apples, the high end Jackson imports of that time would be the equivalent of that lower USA Fender.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                Just to clarify.. That IS a Soloist XL, not a PRO. Rosewood board, not ebony. And I'd say that price/value is pretty insane. I've seen them sell as low as $250 and maybe as high as $600.
                Yeah thats probably more realistic pricing for that guitar.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate the input. I guess I'll pass on it then, and keep searching.... or just keep playing it!

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    Covers actually deaden the sound.

How so?
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      How so?
                      By being one more thing that sound has to travel through before it gets heard.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        By being one more thing that sound has to travel through before it gets heard.
                        LOL the sound only travels from the speakers to your ear. Unless you put the pickup cover over your ear the sound doesn't have to have to travel through it.

Comment

That would be true if pickups picked up soundwaves like microphones, they don't,
                          the motion of vibrating steel strings disturb the magnetic field of the pickup, which creates a current in the coils
                          If it was true what you said, nylon strings could be used with magnetic pickups

magnetism is very hard to insulate, in most cases all you can do is move the metal object out of the magnetic field's influence
                          or inserting something conductive which might alter the magnetic field (it will still NOT stop a magnetic field, only be able to move/redirect it)
                          Plastic covers aren't one of them, and as you noticed metal covers are found on guitar pickups as well and while their permeability is higher,
                          still not very efficient of insulating the magnetic field (and even more diminished by exposed polepieces

bit more info:

list of permeability of different materials:

Note: see the extreme difference between 99.95 and 99.8% pure iron
                          and what is also worth mentioning is that most non-ferro containing materials are very low in permeability
                          in other words: if a magnet doesn't stick to it, the influence of the material used is negligible if not Non-existent (notice copper having a lower permeability than air or a vacuum?)
                          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

We can agree to disagree.

Comment

Can't really argue the physics of ferromagnetic pickups. Piezoelectric pickups are microphonic.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X