"MG" Series Neck Radius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "MG" Series Neck Radius

There seems to be conflicting information on this. I've seen 12"-16", which is I believe the standard Jackson compound radius. I have also seen 14"-16" listed, which I thought might have been exclusive to the MG line? I tried to print out the radius tool to use on my DXMG but I couldn't cut accurately enough to be 100%. Anyone know?

I've never heard anything other than 12"-16", and I don't see what benefit there would be to make one series in another radius span. It would likely just make overall costs higher. It doesn't seem logical to go to a higher radius for the "chord end" either. My guess is that it was originally a typo that stuck around.

Comment

Just comparing my DKMGT to my SL2HT they both look the same. 12"-16".
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

My DKMG is 12"-16".

Comment

Thanks guys. I wanted a new locking nut, and bought a 14" based on the literature that I found, as well as the memory that I had from way back when. I had an 08 DXMG and 08 DK2M, and I would have sworn up and down that the necks were different, as well as the DK2 having a thicker neck. Once I saw the incorrect 14"-16" I figured that was the difference, even though looking at the spec sheet in present day the DXMG has a thicker neck.

Comment

The fretboard radius doesn't really have anything to do with neck thickness. That is more a question of how the back of the neck is shaped. But radius will affect the feel of it for sure - especially when playing barre chords.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarkid8 View Post
              Thanks guys. I wanted a new locking nut, and bought a 14" based on the literature that I found, as well as the memory that I had from way back when. I had an 08 DXMG and 08 DK2M, and I would have sworn up and down that the necks were different, as well as the DK2 having a thicker neck. Once I saw the incorrect 14"-16" I figured that was the difference, even though looking at the spec sheet in present day the DXMG has a thicker neck.
              A thicker neck has nothing to do with fingerboard radius. A neck radius is a totally different thing.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know they are different things, however I thought that I felt more of a difference than simply neck thickness. I assumed that all jacksons have a modern shape neck, and that left the fingerboard radius as the only thing left. Same scale length, jumbo frets, wood type, and nut width.

Comment

Generally, DXMG's always had thicker necks than a DK2 or DK2M. Something like: DK2M .810 12th fret/ DXMG .880 12th fret.
                  Neck dimensions can be inconsistent, though.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
                  X