To Overhaul or Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Overhaul or Not

Bought what I thought was a good condition MIJ Dinky Reverse but have come to find that it's gonna need a new trem, p'ups, at the very least a complete fret level and crown and possibly some new frets, pots replaced. The question in my mind is: do I invest the $$ to get it to a better-than-passable state or do I cut my losses and unload it? I'd be very tempted to give it a complete overhaul- new stainless jumbos, new p'ups, new Schaller LockMeister with a brass big block and shortened string screws, new 500K pots, ditch the blade style 3 way for a toggle, sand the neck and oil or satin finish it, and a new paint job. It would, for all intents and purposes, be a Jackson only in name and body & neck parts. Problems is I still don't know if I could bond with this. Cannot determine that in it's current condition.

Tough call. Maybe start with a fret level/crown and see how you like it?
    You could block the trem to just dive if it's too worn to be stable.

I'm sure you already realise this, but regardless of what you do to it, you will never get that money back if you decide to unload it in the end.

Comment

Can you post a pic?
      I hear you on all accounts. I think if your willing to put the work in or have it done, it will be like new. Then you can decide if it's the right one for you. If not sell it and someone else will love it.
      I think it's worth it.

Comment

How much of this work will you be doing yourself?
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I'd hold out for an old beat up USA to sink that kind of money and effort into.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
            How much of this work will you be doing yourself?
            Everything except the fret work and refinish.

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            I'd hold out for an old beat up USA to sink that kind of money and effort into.
            Part of the appeal of this is the maple board and the reverse head stock. Not an expert but I'm not sure I'd find that in a USA except for custom orders. Moreover I've read/heard that this series were some of the better pro mods to come out of Japan. Sure, basswood is not my first choice in body wood and that factors in my decision, too.

Comment

Well go for it then. What's wrong with that J85 pup?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                Well go for it then. What's wrong with that J85 pup?
                Nothing, I just prefer Seymours over the J85.

Comment

Unless it plays like a monster and you love it, I say cut your loses and get something else
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

If you're going to keep it for a while I would do it. If not, you are guaranteed to lose money on resale.

Comment

Why new trem? Something is irreparably broken?

I'd go for a fret level if you need it. But I wouldn't go as far as replacing a trem or repainting it. A buffing wheel and some polish perhaps?
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        Why new trem? Something is irreparably broken?

I'd go for a fret level if you need it. But I wouldn't go as far as replacing a trem or repainting it. A buffing wheel and some polish perhaps?
                        Stopped counting at two stripped saddle screws and didn't check the rest. The string blocks are so crudded up I almost couldn't get the strings out the saddles.

Comment

If you are going to do the work yourself and you've got the parts, time and patience I would keep it. I have 2 of these and they do feel different to the other Dinky's I have. The necks definitely have something else to them, especially the maple finger board models.

Comment

My personal belief is when you find a guitar that has a good quality body or neck and certain specs that you can't find easily on other guitars, then put some money into it and turn it into an awesome playing/looking guitar. Hopefully it will be a guitar that you hold on to for a long time. If you're on the fence about it, then take it stages until you figure out if it's a keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                              Part of the appeal of this is the maple board and the reverse head stock. Not an expert but I'm not sure I'd find that in a USA except for custom orders.
                              find yourself a JRS

If you don't need it fixed in a hurry, I'd play it for a while & see if you do bond with it. Maybe get the frets dressed. If the pots are really bad, that's a pretty cheap fix. And the trem can be blocked for now, if need be. You won't be out much cash, might find it's an axe that you really dig once it's cleaned up & setup. And if not, you haven't spent a lot if you need to pass it on
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X