NGD Jackson Adrian Smith, couple of disappointments/review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD Jackson Adrian Smith, couple of disappointments/review

Just got a used , very nice condition Jackson Adrian Smith import model....I've been tinkering with the setup to get the action lower but have reached a point where low action is going to = buzz on some frets. I guess the only option is maybe a plek job, as the neck bow already has the proper relief to it, so I don't think I can adjust that and the bridge sits parallel now after some adjustment, but as I said, any lower and there's too much buzz but I would like for the action to be a hair lower. The guitar when I first got it would not hold tune at all, so I swapped the springs for some trusty Ibanez ones that always snap back to being in tune and the bonus is the whammy action is quite a bit less stiff now. The last action on the whammy will be some plumbers tape on the threads to take out the slight play to it. So onto the two disappointing things (the action is disappointing as well, but I can live with some of the buzz especially with moderate gain or picking less aggressively)...

1. the string spacing is very nice for my chunky fingertips , but , they come at the cost of having the low and especially high E strings VERY close to the fret edge. WAY close! We're talking any bending downward to the floor and and it's onto the fret edge. Not good. Since this has the fixed Floyd style nut, and both the low and high E strings are both pretty much exactly equal distance from their fret edges, I can only chalk this up to poor design? For the time, I'm compensating by playing extremely lightly and taking care not to bend down, but man what a drag!

2. 2nd disappointing thing is, the very noticeable lack of sustain. But it's more than that..it's like notes just die off too quickly even though the string is still vibrating some...This is comparing it to my similar HSS lowly but trusty Peavey, which outsustains it by a bit. The difference there is it's a 6 screw Fender style bridge. I've had plenty of other FR equipped guitars though none in the last 6 months or so, and I don't remember any of them having the notes die out like that so fast. The initial tone is nice and works great for rock/hard rock, but the sustain is shockingly bad. This guitar is 2nd hand and I haven't yet looked under the hood at the electronics, but it looks totally stock so I'm kind of doubting someone may have changed something there but we'll see. ...My current thought it, this guitar just doesn't sustain like my $60 used Peavey does and I won't be able to record a tune that has some bent and held notes. Major bummer. Hopefully I can experiment with a few things on the guitar before resorting to compression.

Those two major things aside, I like it. Versatile sounds, the whammy now solid after changing the springs and it has that 'do anything' look to it that doesn't make it appear it's designed for a single genre. Traditional but modernized. So playing blues, jazz or country works too.
    Last edited by sixpick; 12-27-2016, 09:37 PM.

During the first year or so of Indian production that model was well known for the issue of strings slipping off the board, but I've heard the problem was corrected on the newer Indonesian models.

What serial is yours?
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      During the first year or so of Indian production that model was well known for the issue of strings slipping off the board, but I've heard the problem was corrected on the newer Indonesian models.

What serial is yours?
      looks to be NHJ1203683

Comment

Originally posted by sixpick View Post
        looks to be NHJ1203683
        That's an Indian 2012 model then! I have an Indian WRXMG that's really, really good. But it seems like those early Indian X-series were really hit and miss.
        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
          That's an Indian 2012 model then! I have an Indian WRXMG that's really, really good. But it seems like those early Indian X-series were really hit and miss.
          interesting...could you possibly snap a close-up pic of your fretboard showing frets 1 thru about 5 so I can compare?

Comment

I have a 2012 AS model with a maple fingerboard and I gutted the electronics and installed an RSguitarworks wiring harness and DiMarzio super D humbucker and 2 SD-1 single coil pick ups,
            Took the R 4 nut off and installed an R3 to fix the string spacing issue (too close to the edges) but you will have to dowel the original nut mounting holes because the R3 mounting holes are slightly different.
            Replaced the trem claw mounting screws with std Fender screws.
            Now it rocks hard stays in tune and plays and sounds like a dream. Its as solid as any USA Jackson I have had over the years.
            Still has the stock tuners altho I had to replace one but with a locking nut its not a big deal.
            The Floyd Rose special has worked flawlessly and I have not been easy on it trust me.

All the upgrades took about 2 hours and were all easy to do. Its a really great guitar now.
            The necks on these are really nice and have that old school Jackson feel to them.
            The frets on mine were perfect right out of the box.
            Last edited by straycat; 12-28-2016, 03:34 PM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah, that's one of the early Indian models from 2012.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Mine is NHJ1206747.
                I bought one with a rosewood board and white pick guard and it had the string spacing issue and trem would not stay in tune.
                I took it back to GC and had them order me one with the maple fingerboard.
                It was a much better guitar overall just needed some hardware upgrades.
                The bodies and necks are outstanding and the stock pick ups aren't bad at all.The pots and wiring are not very good but all that can be upgraded easily.

Comment

Interesting....I was looking yesterday at closeup pics from the guitar from American musical and it looks like the high and low strings are also right there near the edge like mine...maybe they just used an older stock photo though....so where can I get R3 nut?...

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    I have a 2012 AS model with a maple fingerboard and I gutted the electronics and installed an RSguitarworks wiring harness and DiMarzio super D humbucker and 2 SD-1 single coil pick ups,
                    Took the R 4 nut off and installed an R3 to fix the string spacing issue (too close to the edges) but you will have to dowel the original nut mounting holes because the R3 mounting holes are slightly different.
                    Replaced the trem claw mounting screws with std Fender screws.
                    Now it rocks hard stays in tune and plays and sounds like a dream. Its as solid as any USA Jackson I have had over the years.
                    Still has the stock tuners altho I had to replace one but with a locking nut its not a big deal.
                    The Floyd Rose special has worked flawlessly and I have not been easy on it trust me.

All the upgrades took about 2 hours and were all easy to do. Its a really great guitar now.
                    The necks on these are really nice and have that old school Jackson feel to them.
                    The frets on mine were perfect right out of the box.
                    nice, that sounds like the route I will have to go too...I like the stock bridge humbucker though, works very well for hard rock...I think I may have tracked the lack of sustain to the ringing string maybe ever so slightly coming in contact with a fret or frets...not sure yet, ...sure hope it's not just because I'm expecting too much from a floating FR style...I think it may be the fret contact though..
                    Last edited by sixpick; 12-29-2016, 02:11 AM.

Comment

My Indian Warrior is also very well put together. I have the problem of the high E dropping off the fretboard on my Indonesian KVMG. All those earlier models were "recalled" at some point. I don't know if it was for that same issue or something else. But in my case the problem isn't the nut, it's the bridge. The FR isn't aligned properly. But I imagine moving the posts up 1mm isn't really an option.

Comment

If it is touching up by the nut just shim the nut to raise it a small amount.
                        Down by the last few frets then raise the bridge a little.
                        Jackson suggests you get the neck as flat as you can so that means 0 relief then do your set up from that starting point.
                        That may cure your buzzing problems because if you have relief and start lowering the bridge it will buzz against the 22nd fret in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                          My Indian Warrior is also very well put together. I have the problem of the high E dropping off the fretboard on my Indonesian KVMG. All those earlier models were "recalled" at some point. I don't know if it was for that same issue or something else. But in my case the problem isn't the nut, it's the bridge. The FR isn't aligned properly. But I imagine moving the posts up 1mm isn't really an option.
                          If its a bolt on neck guitar then just loosen the neck plate screws and move the neck a little to one side to get the high E where it needs to be.
                          Last edited by straycat; 12-29-2016, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                            If its a bolt on neck guitar then just loosen the neck plate screws and move the neck a little to one side to get the high E where it needs to be.
                            It's a neck-through.

Comment

The sustain issue is down to the pickups being cheapos, I'm sure. I really like the tone of them (I have an SDX too) but they ARE underpowered. I can live with it but I had to buy a DiMarzio Super D for the bridge, it just feels wrong without one!

The Floyd isn't an issue in the sustain unless there's some fault. FR guitars sustain just as well as any other in my experience.
                              Last edited by MartinBarre; 12-29-2016, 03:06 PM.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X