PS Find.. Dinky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS Find.. Dinky?

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'd like some help identifying my pawn shop find..

http://imgur.com/a/mLFME

They advertised this as a DK2. However, the serial number 650012975 doesn't seem to match up to anything as far as I can tell,
    and there's no other markings that indicate that as a Jackson other than the logo on the headstock.

I got a killer deal on it, so even if it's not a real one I'm still pretty happy with it.

If anyone could shed some light on this though I'd greatly appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum. That would be a late '90s Dinky Reverse made exclusively for Musician's Friend. I had one of those bodies a long time ago. I think they were made in Taiwan or Indonesia or someplace strange that you don't see a lot of Jacksons from.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, that serial format was used on Taiwanese Jacksons. It's the least seen serial format from my experience and they don't seem to be date coded, but there's little info on those numbers. Circa mid-late-'90s.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I remember a couple people here with them. There was one with the 24th fret sharkfin like this one, and there was another with dot inlays, and they both have that weird switch position similar to an Ibanez. I remember seeing them in an MF catalog from around '97 or '98 if I recall correctly.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow, thanks for your responses! I was beginning to worry a little, as you can see the dark spots (glue?) behind the sharkfins and other small stuff like that.

I'm also seeing a little wooden block and some glue (?) in between the springs (in picture).. I'm not familiar with floyds at all. Would that be something previous user added in for whatever reason?

Also mid to late 90's seems to be my thing. My other Jackson is a 1997(8?) Roswell Rhoads Pro
          Last edited by Malys; 01-16-2017, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The stuff around the inlays would be either glue or wood filler. Certainly not a neat inlay job.

I don't know anything about trems, nor do I see anything out of character in the cavity. Someone should figure it out.

If you remove the neck you may find date/model stamps in the pocket. Can't guarantee it, though.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The trem is partially blocked and set up to "dive" only. Similar to a "decked" strat trem. 4 springs cranked down to the body means you can do multiple (or single) string bends without the trem moving (going out of tune).

Comment

Thanks, I'll check the neck pocket when I eventually take the neck off to level the frets.

I'm such a noob when it comes to trems. I have 3 TOM
                bridges so this is uncharted territory for me. I think I might have to replace the Floyd with another one though, the bridge seems too wide for this guitar as my bottom E string is right on the edge of the fretboard. Very easy to slide it off the end. You can see it right at the humbucker as the bottom E string is well south of the poles.

Comment

I'm a TOM guy also, no tremolos for me.

It's possible that you can straighten the neck by loosening the screws and positioning the neck so that the strings are centered. This may work, but if something is really off center it may not work.

Comment

I wonder if I have a similar thing. Rather than a new post, I'll copy my reddit post here:

Gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/XuivY

I've done a lot of due diligence and have come up short IDing this Jackson. There's always one little detail that eliminates it from a model I find. I think it's an imported Dinky, but I'm not sure where in the model range it falls. Best estimate is a 90s Musician's Friend exclusive.
                    Details:
                    • reverse headstock, reverse shark fins.
                    • h/s/s pickups. Single coils marked MP112 on the bottom. Kent Armstrong, I think.
                    • licensed Floyd Rose.
                    • No binding
                    • SN sticker missing?
                    • Bolt on neck
                    • Neck plate has a number, but no Jackson badging. 00010725, which doesn't match a range I've found online.

I'm stumped and would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Comment

The number indicates India, 2000. I expect it was one of the numerous limited dealer runs from that era.

The missing sticker on the neck looks like it may have been a made in Japan sticker, BUT, the Indian models may have had a sticker, too...not sure. I'm just thinking there's a chance the neck was swapped with the original. Just guessing based on the sticker residue.

So, I'd recommend removing the neck and checking for date/model stamps in the pocket. IF the neck is Japanese it should have stamps, but Indian models generally don't have stamps.

Comment

Removed the neck -- no stamps. Thanks for all your help! Off to eBay to see if I can figure out a price... suggestions welcomed.

Comment

No stamps almost guarantees it's all Indian parts, so the possible neck switch I mentioned earlier is unlikely.

I just got done looking at various craigslists throughout the US, and as has been the case for a few years now Japanese Jackson can be readily had in the $300 used range, even less, occasionally much less.

An Indian model would realistically be $200-250 tops using the current US used market as a guide.

Comment

Hi new guy here, I also just bought one of these Jacksons. No serial # on the neck plate, neck was smiling, had 11's on it and tremolo was reinstalled wrong.
                            I took it completely apart and found the serial where the neck heel meets the body, Black stamp JD95 green ink stamp 951012.
                            Straightened the neck with the truss rod, reset the tremolo for Slinky 9 gauge, have it floating nicely. Oiled the fret board and darn for $160, it plays nice.Almost as nice as my 93 Rhodes
                            Can I assume that it is a Japan model with those serials?
                            93 Rhodes EX Professional 931370
                            95 JD-95 Dinky 951012

Comment

Yes, Japanese to my knowledge. Pretty sure those had a sticker on the headstock with a serial that was no doubt removed.
                              The 1995 JD95 doesn't appear in catalogues, nor did a number of models from that era.

Comment

Working...
                              X